RecipeDB - Malty Australian Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score

Malty Australian Lager

Lager - American Lager
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Mash: 2g CaS04
2g CaCl2
Boil: 1g Cas04
1g CaCl2
Adjust brewing salts to suit your water and mash.
Racked at about 1020
Diacetyl rest at about 1015
This is a lager so obviously lagering it will help the process. 1 week minimum, longer if you can. I didn't fine this beer (don't filter anything) and it came out as clear as my fined beers.

Mash temp 64 degrees for 60 minutes, single infusion.
Mash out for 10 minutes

YEAST was WY 2000 which is not in the drop down menu. This is the budvar yeast which helps push the malt.

Final Gravity was about 1010, not 1017 (calculator on this db is bunkum). OG 1055

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
5 kg JWM Export Pilsner
0.5 kg JWM Wheat Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.054 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.017 (calc)
  • Bitterness 30.5 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.79%
  • Colour 7 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 10 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Hadn't finished typing. Yeast was budvar yeast (WY 2000) which is missing from the dropdown so I've included it in the bwer's notes rather than confuse people with a surrogate.

Hadn't finished typing. Yeast was budvar yeast (WY 2000) which is missing from the dropdown so I've included it in the bwer's notes rather than confuse people with a surrogate.

What makes it malty?

I'm going on belief from tasting and reading rather than actual knowledge but my guess is the yeast is a big contributor. 2000 is supposed to push malt and my experience of various yeasts is that some will do this very well. I wasn't sure if I may have decocted this as well which would push that aspect - my recipe notes don't specify and beer has fuggled my brain (pun intended).

Definitely much maltier than the other aussie lager I made which has the same grain bill, hop bill and mash temp but different yeast (2007 - wy american pilsner). Other differences in the second are rice and cane sugar which will obviously contribute.

What makes it malty?

Without tasting it...i'd say the lack of sugaz (being an aussie lager) and the budvar yeast which does help bring the malt forward (like a good Boh Pilsner such as Budějovick Budvar or Urquell)

Back