2013, What Will Be Your Theme/project/experiments?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My theme for the year is brew more Belgiums!
My projects are to finish my grain mill and build my electric brewery (doubleplugga we should share build issues)
And join one of the Melbourne brew clubs!!

Sounds like a plan Brewnut! I am hoping not to run into too many but I think its inevitable there will be some issues. but hey that's one of the many great things about this forum.

Florian said:
1) Moving my brewing area from the garage to the patio overlooking the back yard

2) Chill every beer

3) start brewing milds and other low alcohol beers

4) make sure there are always a soda water and two decent beers on the kegerator in the kitchen

5) reinstate the kegerator in the garage

6) Don't enter any comps anymore.
Why no comps Florian????

1 brew a barleywine.
2 set up a Randall
3 lower alcohol content on house beers
4 experiment with more single hop beers.

1 brew a barleywine.
2 set up a Randall
3 lower alcohol content on house beers
4 experiment with more single hop beers.

Damien13 said:
Why no comps Florian????
Just brewing what I drink this year. Not saying I didn't drink my comp beers, but probably brewed some beers that I might not have brewed if it weren't for comps. Or in other words, might have brewed one or two more wheat beers than I would've liked.

At the moment I'm only brewing IPAs and Pilsners, so will enter those if I have some ready at the time, but won't try to time things specifically.

Two kids = less brewing time -> concentrate on the necessities

As for plans: Picking up an ebay brewery storage area for the back patio tomorrow from Bribie Island, keen to get that organised and move everything out of the garage.

fish13 said:
finish my brew setup. Get a 40L urn and go fishing more
CAM00239.jpg

IMG-5250.jpg

CAM00236.jpg

DSC02001.JPG

DSC02002.JPG

DSC02003.JPG

Florian said:
Just brewing what I drink this year. Not saying I didn't drink my comp beers, but probably brewed some beers that I might not have brewed if it weren't for comps. Or in other words, might have brewed one or two more wheat beers than I would've liked.

At the moment I'm only brewing IPAs and Pilsners, so will enter those if I have some ready at the time, but won't try to time things specifically.

Two kids = less brewing time -> concentrate on the necessities

As for plans: Picking up an ebay brewery storage area for the back patio tomorrow from Bribie Island, keen to get that organised and move everything out of the garage.

I gave away brewing for comps. years ago, I found I was brewing beers for others rather than brewing beers for myself. Stuff the guidelines I say.

Batz

1. Fine tune my gheto 3v system.

2. create a beer so perfect that it makes Jesus look like Kyle Sandilands.

3. retire and reap the rewards, while sleeping on a fat pile of cash with many beautiful women.

I can't seem to find anyone who's brewed a weizen with WB-06 at a constant temperature above 23 degrees (Which Fermentis tell me should bring out the banana). So my experiment will be a 23.5 degree fermented hefe....just as soon as I can get my brewfridge free.

If it works, a banana dunkel will soon follow....

This year I brew my first AG beer. Next week actually. I have week off so will hopefully get two different brews down in my new BIAB urn setup. I want to spend a fair bit of time nailing all these new processes down with basic beers before moving onto some more challenging stuff.

Wearing my way through the three kilos of assorted hops I've somehow accumulated :blink:

Truman said:
1. Have more than one keg on the go at once with different styles in each

2. Try to get to more brew club meetings (Wednesday nights is such a bitch)

3. Get into cheese making

4, Have sex with the missus in the Hepburn spath baths.

3 down one to go. :) :p

-> first BIAB brew whilst finishing off the brau-clone
-> first AG brew on my brau-clone
-> use my two pre-milled grain packs (red Irish ale, Vienna lager) from Goomba
-> work my way through 4 lbs of hops
-> work my way through 25kg of ale malt and 25kg of pilsener malt
-> christen my new grain mill
-> get more than one keg on the go in my kegerator
-> purchase triple tap font (1 * font + 3 * Perlick SS flow control = $$$$$$$) for kegerator

So basically what this is telling me is that I have acquired too much gear and not constructed enough.
So 2012 was the year of acquisition
2013 is the year of implementation.
Still got the inner vessel/malt pipe for my brau clone to build so would like that done by end of February

Finally get around to setting up the beer engine that has been sitting in the cupboard for ~4 months slowly getting parts replaced on it.

The missus wants to put it in the corner of the kitchen. I love my wife.

Batz said:
I gave away brewing for comps. years ago, I found I was brewing beers for others rather than brewing beers for myself. Stuff the guidelines I say.

Batz
not that i entered comps or anything, but this is what i have done since day #1. but my plans are to get my 80L 3V herms done this year and my double batch single vessel system done aswell. acquire a 2nd fridge for lagers/cc (which is underway) and fix my grain mills (both - replace bearings/bushes and a shaft, after a nasty accident with a coathanger) and to update all those threads that should have been finished yonks ago :lol:

Back