Centrifugal Wort Filtration For Seperating Solids

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I was thinking if the use of a centrifugal water filtration unit would be suitable to seperate the solids prior to putting the wort in the fermenter .

A centrifugal water filtration unit uses Incoming liquid is guided by a diverter plate so that it enters multiple hydro cyclones tangentially, generating a strong centrifugal effect.

This spins the sediment out to the hydro cyclones wall and then spirals it down to the sediment sump, while the cleansed wort would spirals upwards.

It is only a thought which may be able to be developed for solid seperation in brewing .

has anyone tried this type of seperation ? .

Pumpy :unsure:

Multicyclone.jpg

Out of interest how fast do you need to pump into it?

Out of interest how fast do you need to pump into it?

Jye I am unsure if my March pump would be enough to generate a strong centrifugal effect.

I think they work on a similar effect to those 'Dyson floor cleaner' and they have a tiny motor but then they are just sucking air not liquid

Pumpy
:)

Centrifuges are used by breweries and wineries wonder how something like this would work, tell us more Pump.

Well how abot that Screwy I must be on the right track , but I am only considering it to use the Clyclonic action to clear my wort.

give me time .

when I first launched my idea to use gravel in the bottom of my Mash tun it came with a lot of heckling from the rabble ,there are some who still rememberand give me a hard time thinking I am slightly Bonkers .

Pumpy :wacko:

I am currently looking at centrifuge separation for work purposes. As you can imagine it's on a slightly bigger scale. But I 'll see what info i can come up with. Don't forget the hot break etc also has to have some where to go once it's seperated. Are there any mathematicians/ engineers out there with the calcs already done?

This sounds very interesting, really looking forward to more info.

That was you with the gravel idea? Pissa.
(Just joking.)

Out of interest I think I will have to drag the textbooks back out and read up on centrifuge filters. Ive only read of them being used for polishing beer after fermentation (removing yeast) but the same process is valid post boil, as used in the kettle, but the wort velocities needed will be much lower. But as you said Pumpy I have a feeling a march pump will not be sufficient.

Out of interest I think I will have to drag the textbooks back out and read up on centrifuge filters. Ive only read of them being used for polishing beer after fermentation (removing yeast) but the same process is valid post boil, as used in the kettle, but the wort velocities needed will be much lower. But as you said Pumpy I have a feeling a march pump will not be sufficient.

I'm way out of my depth here but would not all this agitation of the wort expose it to the dreaded oxidation?

cheers

Browndog

I cant answer your questions yet but I am going to rig one up and I will have to report back on its effectiveness.

Pumpy :)

What about an old hand cranked milk separator? Actually, many German breweries do use a centrifuge just to remove the cold break. This is separate from centrifuging out the yeast.

Wes

Well how abot that Screwy I must be on the right track , but I am only considering it to use the Clyclonic action to clear my wort.

give me time .

when I first launched my idea to use gravel in the bottom of my Mash tun it came with a lot of heckling from the rabble ,there are some who still rememberand give me a hard time thinking I am slightly Bonkers .

Pumpy :wacko:

So long as you use Cyclonic and not Colonic action to clear your wort you should be right Pump :p

Gravel in the tun probably gets a similar reaction to my boil nuts. Neighbour watching me clean up after a brewday, was worried that some part of the brewery had failed when he saw the nuts fall out of the brewkettle. Fun nee!

So long as you use Cyclonic and not Colonic action to clear your wort you should be right Pump :p

Gravel in the tun probably gets a similar reaction to my boil nuts. Neighbour watching me clean up after a brewday, was worried that some part of the brewery had failed when he saw the nuts fall out of the brewkettle. Fun nee!

Do your boil Nuts prevent boilovers ? do they work ?

Do your boil Nuts prevent boilovers ? do they work ?

Can still up the temp to the point where the wort boils over. But I can boil much harder without boil overs, which I like especially for short 60 min boils for lighter beers. What I have found is that worts of different compositions will boil over at different temps. Haven't recorded which ones boil over more easily, but tend to think it's more likely to be those with high percentages of cara/crystal malt or high gravity, more sweetness/sugar. Some worts I could boil hard and others I couldn't and some you'd have to watch really closely. Found with first wort hopping that boil overs were more difficult to manage, hops in the wort at the beginning of the boil seemed to increase surface tension in the wort, the bubbles were much larger and would build ip much more quickly. I have egg timers disease (3 minute memory) and although I watch the boil I would always end doing some little jobs while waiting, then hearing that dreaded sizzling sound, turn around to see the wort going down the sides of the kettle. If your quick enough with the spray bottle not much is lost, but there is still a mess to clean up. Using boil nuts I can get a real good rolling boil without having to stand next to the kettle with the spray bottle at the ready.

Screwy,

Forgive my ignorance, but what nuts do you use? Macadamias? with shells or without? or the things that you put on the end of bolts?

I even asked the font of all knowledge (google), but He could only suggest Pecan Fudge or Cream of Chestnut Soup.

Cheers,
Wrenny

Ive heard of using stainless steel nuts is this what your using screwy
Franko

Screwy,

Forgive my ignorance, but what nuts do you use? Macadamias? with shells or without? or the things that you put on the end of bolts?

I even asked the font of all knowledge (google), but He could only suggest Pecan Fudge or Cream of Chestnut Soup.

Cheers,
Wrenny

Ive heard of using stainless steel nuts is this what your using screwy
Franko

Yep stainless 3/8 nuts Franko, taste better than macadamias too.

Quit your jibber jabber - Get some nuts! <_<

Back