Cleanest lager yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
I'm about to embark on brewing my first lager strain beers. I wanted to do a 100% pils + saaz (euro) and a citra + pale malt with a little light crystal (americanish).

Can anyone recommend a really clean lager strain for either? I've got good access to whitelabs with Wyeast a little harder to get where I live.

WLP833 Bock is a gun, ferment at 10ish. No Sulfur, can throw acetylaldehyde if you rush ferment. Use a nice big starter and happy days

Wyeast 2124 and 2042 are my picks. The closest Whitelabs would be WLP830 German Lager Yeast, but I haven't personally tried it.

My preference is Budvar (Wyeast 2000), if you can get it that 100% pils and Saaz will work nicely(it is my house lager but with a little acidulated thrown in). Budejovice (WLP) is nice as well.

I like the Wyeast 2001 Urquell strain, not sure what its White Labs equivalent is. Used this numerous times in Bo Pils, 100% Saaz but the grain bill did contain a smidge of Munich II. These turned out very well, very clean. In saying that though, I haven't really used any other lager strains except W34/70 a couple of years back, so I haven't much to compare it to.

S23 is an excellent clean and neutral dry lager yeast when handled and pitched correctly also, don't dismiss it! Go for cold pitch at 10C

Ask 6 brewers a question and thou shalt receive 6 different answers..

I've only used 2042, 2001, wlp940 & s189 so still have a lot of lager yeasts to get through, but 2042 has my vote.

They're all very clean when treated well though.. have a read on attenuation/floc levels for each and see which fits your requirements best.

Thanks guys. I'll give some of those a go and will report back

You only have around thirteen to start with you better get drinking! :chug:

Ed: S-23 Worked well for me as did W-34/70. Clean depending on brewing conditions etc.
Dry Yeast travels better. I always make starters and never under pitch.

I forgot, I've also found that my lagers have seemed cleanest/crispest when yeast is pitched at ferment temp (or slightly below), correct amount of yeast (or slightly over) and aerated well.

I'm on a s-189 phase atm. Have used it before and works well given time.

25 litre batch went from 1:041 down to 1:005 in 3 days at 17c. No noticeable esters. Did pitch 30g though.

Latest posts

Back