Connecting Beer Engines To Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gap

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have been brewing AG for about 10 years, mainly English Ales and occassionally Stouts.
I have decided to start kegging my beer and have purchased 2 beer engines.
I am looking for help and advice on the best way to connect the beer engines to corny kegs . The beer engines use 1/2" beer lines. Do I need special disconnects to attach the beer line to the keg. Also any suggestions on a source of cask aspirators.

Regards

Welcome to the forum, gap
I have found that a half inch to 6mm reducer is necessary to get the beer from keg to beer engine, worst comes to it, just get some plastic attachments from the plumbing store, and use alot of plumbers tape in the screw parts. Get imaginative.
As far as the cask aspirator goes, the only place I have been able to source them is in Englad, and they are around $60 aussie each, not sure how ya will go getting em to send em out for you. ScotBev is the name of the company I think? Anyway, I am about to head away for work for a few days, but next week, I will do a search of the TechTalk archives (maybe another AHA member can do it instead?) there was recently a post, a week after I bought mine, that described how to make a cheap, home made cask aspirator.
All the best
Trent

I e-mailed the Yank who is using a low pressure gas reg as an aspirator (mentioned in the beer engine thread).
Long story short, it seems to work. just a matter of making the connections work.
I will probably give it a go.

..is this cross posting?

There ya go, Vlad found it.
I will have a look and see if I cant post his directions in the morning. Didnt have to go away for work now (yay! brewing tomorrow!), so can probably do that if I dont get too lazy.
All the best
Trent

Gap
A quick search on the AHA archives found the bloke and his method. I have left his name and stuff on the bottom so you know who it was that came up with the idea and put it up for all the AHA members to see. Not sure if it works, but as Vlad said, it is supposed to.
All the best,
Trent

Just wanted to pass on this little tidbit of info for cask ale enthusiasts. Those of you who are strictly aligned with CAMRA should probably skip the remainder of this post.

I have a beer engine and have been on a cask ale/real ale kick the past 6 months. I don't use real pins and firkins, but use corny kegs conditioned with 2 oz corn sugar and chilled to 55 F. My problem comes not in dispensing exactly, but in replacing the head space with CO2 instead of air. Venting the kegs to atmosphere (as in a soft spile) is fine for when the kegs will be emptied in a few days, but for those of us who want a cask ale served at home, how do we accomplish the same thing? With a cask breather.

A cask breather is a device - a pressure regulator if you will - that allows head space to be replaced with CO2, but at atmospheric pressure so that it doesn't over carbonate the beer nor push it out of the engine. Some cask breathers also have a relief valve to vent extra pressure from the keg (from actively fermenting beer). Personally, I have a problem with spending a hundred bucks to get a real cask breather, so I've been trying to figure out a 'frugal' way to make one.

It turns out that a standard low pressure propane regulator (11" Water Column) is a fixed pressure regulator of about 0.4 psig. I bought a new one, hooked it up in my CO2 line to a QD and affixed it to the keg. It works like a charm, and only cost me $20 (including barbed fittings). Just be sure to keep the business end of the beer engine a foot or more above the keg.

Hope you find this useful.

Steve Jones, Johnson City, TN
State of Franklin Homebrewers
END QUOTE

Gap
A quick search on the AHA archives found the bloke and his method. I have left his name and stuff on the bottom so you know who it was that came up with the idea and put it up for all the AHA members to see. Not sure if it works, but as Vlad said, it is supposed to.
All the best,
Trent

Thanks Trent

gap

Latest posts

Back