Fermenting freezer died! Astronomical wort temp!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axematt

Reaction score
Gday all. As my title suggests, two days ago I set my temp controller to cold crash my brew and I went out there just now to transfer and it seems my freezer died or something happened, not sure yet but the temp in there was 69 degrees Celsius!! Lamp must have stayed on, I don’t know. Anyway, my question is, what now? What would actually happen to the brew? Is it a sink job? I assume I chuck it?
BTW, it was a IPA, if that really matters.
Cheers

Gday all. As my title suggests, two days ago I set my temp controller to cold crash my brew and I went out there just now to transfer and it seems my freezer died or something happened, not sure yet but the temp in there was 69 degrees Celsius!! Lamp must have stayed on, I don’t know. Anyway, my question is, what now? What would actually happen to the brew? Is it a sink job? I assume I chuck it?
BTW, it was a IPA, if that really matters.
Cheers
Don't throw the towel in just yet, at 69C I would say that would have killed the yeast so if you are bottling you will probably have to add a bit of yeast to the bottle. Kegging wouldn't be such a problem, as djebel suggests taste it and carry on as normal if it doesn't taste too bad.

Not sure about the beer but yeasy will be dead. Could be bad fusels before they conked out. Anyway sounds as if your plugs into the contoller were reversed. Its trying to cool, but heater plugged into cooler port so keeps getting hotter.

Thanks Lads! I seriously have no idea what happened. All I did after discovering the catastrophe, was check that the temp controller was set correctly (it was), then left the lid open to cool it all down a bit, shut the lid and now it's sitting at 2.8 degrees, where it should be. I didn't need to really do anything. Anyway, I will give it the old taste test and see. Will keep you posted. Poor beer, instead of cold crashing it sat at way above mash temp for its second time :(

Latest posts

Back