How Do You Clean Your Hop Sock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Well after the weekend my hop sock is now very brown. Ive just been rinsing it with hot water and hanging it on the washing line to dry. Last night (yes I know its 3 days since I brewed) I decided to clean it. Chucked it in a bucket of boiling water and napisan.... you should have seen the crap that came out of it. Got me thinking that maybe the past few brews werent getting the right hop utilisation due to the tiny holes in the sock being clogged. Do you do a thorough job of cleaning yours or just rinse n dry?
Cheers
Steve

I soak mine in napisan overnight directy after the brew.

It still a funny shade of green but the holes are open. :blink:

Same here..... napisan works great.

Dont soak them in bleach...... it makes them brittle and they split. Dont ask how i know that ;)

I deciced to give mine the napisan treatment when it would hold water....... it was very blocked and my bitter is more of a pale ale.

alls good now its clean though. I think its a build up of break in the holes.

cheers

I usually chuck my hopsock in my fermenter with hot water and napisan (after rinsing trub/crap out of the fermenter). Does the job.

Cleaned mine last night - soaking in Napisan.
Just rinsed it out with the rest of my gear after brewing on Sunday.
The holes open up again nicely after a soak - the bright green colour never fades though!

Mine gets the bleach soak now and then,has not affected it so far.

Batz

Hi Guys,

I use napisan as well and it seems to tidy it up OK, although it still retains a yellowish / brown tone and looks a bit like the back of Bart Simpson's head :lol: :lol:

Cheers

I too do the nappy soaker. (Is Homebrand Nappy Treatment the brewer's best friend or what?) One time when it was particularly crudded up, I chucked it in the wash with my brewery towels. It's still green, but working fine.

I use the 600 micron Hopsock now and keeps cleaner and alows more hop flavour chucked the old one

Pumpy :)

I rinse the outside of the sock off under the hose turn it inside out do the same, then chuck it in the washing mashing, set the water level to low, set it to gentle wash and rinse, no spin. Done.

When the brewday's over I hang it up on the line and give it a dose of the K'archer. Keeps it pretty clean. Like most brewing gear the job's easier if you don't neglect it and let the crap dry. :blink:

Warren -

Give mine a good blast with the hose then into the fermenter with detergent for a wash. Rinse and hang to dry. Looks a bit sus all stained brown but it's clean.

I use the 600 micron Hopsock now and keeps cleaner and alows more hop flavour chucked the old one
Pumpy :)

That's the go!
Better buy one,the old one I have is way to fine IMO

Batz

I too do the nappy soaker. (Is Homebrand Nappy Treatment the brewer's best friend or what?) One time when it was particularly crudded up, I chucked it in the wash with my brewery towels. It's still green, but working fine.

Yeah, just make sure it's not lemon scented homebrand nappy treatment. My Lemon scented dark ale is less than impressive. <_<

I was thinking of looking into some 500 micron SS mesh to make a basket with to hold the hops.

metal mesh sell it for $60 for a 1 meter x 1.4 meter square.

I use a coarser mesh for hop flowers and it works tops.

aparently they manafacture too.

might have to follow that up.

here is my flower basket :p

cheers

hop_basket__Large_.JPG

Have only hosed mine off -- but it's only done two brews. I did get the 500 micron, thanks to Ross' advice. Glad I did. Will have to look into a napisan soak. Thanks for posting the topic!

Brian

Back