How Low Fg Do You Get?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjornJ

Reaction score
How low do you get your beers in FG?

My beers seem to always end at 1.010 or higher. Most often 1.012, some times 1.014.
The same result when going to Lagers, using San Francico Lager yeast (WLP810) as on my last ales using WLP001 (American Ale yeast, like US-05).
My English Mild using WLP002 (English Ale) end even higher on 1.014 but that I expected.

But my Lagers and Ales now end 1.012 to maybe 1.010, never below 1.010.
My mash temperatures are about 65-66, mashing for 60 mins before doing a mash-out. (the lager at 64-65)
Fermented the ales at 17-18 and the lager at 12-13 degrees.

I don't seem to get below FG 1.010 doing all grains.

How are others doing, anyone else who with process alone can get lower than this, more like a commercial beer?

The one I have in the fridge bubbling away at 10 degrees, I added 0.4 kg of cane sugar to try lightening the body, will see how that goes.

What is your normal FG?

thanks
Bjorn

After looking through some recipes I am the same. Even thoe I mash on the lower side of 65' my FG have never been lower than 1.010. Not sure why.

Drew

How low do you get your beers in FG?

My beers seem to always end at 1.010 or higher. Most often 1.012, some times 1.014.
The same result when going to Lagers, using San Francico Lager yeast (WLP810) as on my last ales using WLP001 (American Ale yeast, like US-05).
My English Mild using WLP002 (English Ale) end even higher on 1.014 but that I expected.

But my Lagers and Ales now end 1.012 to maybe 1.010, never below 1.010.
My mash temperatures are about 65-66, mashing for 60 mins before doing a mash-out. (the lager at 64-65)
Fermented the ales at 17-18 and the lager at 12-13 degrees.

I don't seem to get below FG 1.010 doing all grains.

How are others doing, anyone else who with process alone can get lower than this, more like a commercial beer?

The one I have in the fridge bubbling away at 10 degrees, I added 0.4 kg of cane sugar to try lightening the body, will see how that goes.

What is your normal FG?

thanks
Bjorn

Immatestical unless you quote your OG :lol: ADA is most important, lookin forward to the results.

Cheers,

Screwy

1090 down to 990 in one mead i made.

as screwtop points out your og matters
1010 seems fine to me, remember most liquid yeasts only attenuate to say 70%, some as low as 63% and some possibly as high as 78% (ales and lagers), so a 1048 beer at 70% is going to end up 1014, a 1056 beer about 1015 and so on, of course you add enzymes and all sorts of things, but yeast alone is best.
K

Would anyone care to comment from experience on fermentation temp in relation to attenuation? Would a high fermentation temp equal greater attenuation?

cheers

Browndog

on the whole, lager yeasts tend to attenuate more than ale yeasts, higher fermentation temps lead to quicker fermentation' lagers are fermented lower and longer..guess there may be connecting thread...

K

1010 seems fine to me, that's low for a number of my beers :) Commercial breweries like CUB use up to 40% sugar to dry it right out, if that's the taste you really want then try substituting some of the malt for sugar (even 10% will make a difference). However, what's your aim in getting a lower OG? Is the beer too sweet? Most people move to AG brewing to avoid their beer tasting like commercial megaswill, as the generally the dryer it is the less flavour and body there is.

I currently have a european lager of sorts that has finished at 1002. After a few mishaps during production. I miscalculated sparge additions and ended up with an extra 10L and an OG of 1036 I then used the wyeast bohemian lager yeast @ 9 degree and after 2 days did not kick in so I dumped in some cake from 1275 ale yeast and uped the temp to 17 and the next day it was going nuts after a few days i gradually dropped the temp and it finished at 1002 which is the lowest I have ever had a beer finish. it is just starting to come into its own and is quite nice. I have a jar of slurry and will be trying it again.

Brad

Most of my AG ales finish between 1015 & 1010. Occasionally get one stuck around 1020 & need to swirl the trub and leave for some extra days.

........ My mash temperatures are about 65-66, mashing for 60 mins before doing a mash-out. (the lager at 64-65)
Fermented the ales at 17-18 and the lager at 12-13 degrees...........

I have recently started doing 90 minute mashes and I'm finding that my beer is now finishing a couple of points lower than it used to.

Final gravity all depends on the beer you are brewing and the accuracy of your brewing technique.

Are you sure your mash thermometer is accurate at mash temperatures? Lots of info on that but the only reliable way is to check it against a known accurate thermometer at mash temp.

Recipe makes a difference. A good recipe should give you an idea of what the final gravity should be. If you miss it by a point or 2 up or down dont worry about it.

My simple wheat brews finish in the single digits, my more complicated ale recipes finish in the teens.

Mostly around 1010-ish but it really depends as suggested above. I've had a few that were closer to 1005, ciders always hit 0099 or 1000 and milk stouts sit up around 1020.

If you're really concerned bjorn, try dropping your mash temp to 62- 63 and adding in a touch of dextrose. Making a bigger starter with higher gravity beers will probably help. The main thing though is whether or not you like the results (mouthfeel, sweetness etc).

Mostly around 1010-ish but it really depends as suggested above. I've had a few that were closer to 1005, ciders always hit 0099 or 1000 and milk stouts sit up around 1020.

If you're really concerned bjorn, try dropping your mash temp to 62- 63 and adding in a touch of dextrose. Making a bigger starter with higher gravity beers will probably help. The main thing though is whether or not you like the results (mouthfeel, sweetness etc).
Great point manticle.
Bjorn, are you asking because you are not happy with the mouthfeel? Alcohol Levels? Or are you just interested in the science.
If it is the mouthfeel, if your beers are too heavy for what you want then lower your mash temp, or use adjuncts to get a lighter feel.
For more alcohol then using simple sugaz in the recipe will give you more of a kick.
The science I am also learning about but in general lower mash temp= more fermentable.
As someone already mentioned, are you sure your mash thermometer is accurate? Even if it's not you can use your experience of your equipment to adjust things to get a beer the way you want. i.e. If at 65C on YOUR thermometer you get a beer that doesn't get down to where you expect then next time go for 63C on YOUR thermometer to get what you are after.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks guys, lots of good points there.

Didn't include the OGs as I was more interested in how my FGs end compared to others.

The lager I did was OG 1.042 and FG 1.012, my last couple of ales were OG 1.042 / FG 1.014 and OG 1.046 / FG 1.012.
The ales had 8-9% corn flakes as adjunct, the lager flaked rice.

I am happy enough with the mouthfeel and alcohol of the beers, but think at least the lager should have been a little dryer still?

Maybe it's because I use mostly AG and not "enough" adjuncts or sugar to get the FG lower?

I wouldn't mind getting my lager a couple of points lower, possibly below 1.008.

thanks
Bjorn

I have noticed this too. Just had a Kolsch go from 1.047 to 1.013 with 1007 yeast. I would have liked 3 or 4 extra points. Mash thermometer checked out ok. I might try a 90min mash as mentioned above.

One more question- Do people get lower FGs if they make a starter?

I don't make starters but I'm thinking about it.

Alfie

I have noticed this too. Just had a Kolsch go from 1.047 to 1.013 with 1007 yeast. I would have liked 3 or 4 extra points. Mash thermometer checked out ok. I might try a 90min mash as mentioned above.

One more question- Do people get lower FGs if they make a starter?

I don't make starters but I'm thinking about it.

Alfie

No, but I do if I aerate/oxygenate the wort.

Cheers,

Screwy

No, but I do if I aerate/oxygenate the wort.

Cheers,

Screwy
Agreed.
Good aeration before pitching seems to get me to the top of the expected attenuation range of the yeast.

Bjorn, I would go for a 62-63 degree mash for your lager, should get a lower finish.

Cheers
Nige

thanks, I'll try going even lower in mas temp

thanks, I'll try going even lower in mas temp

Give it a bit more time if you go lower in temp, this will also help to make the wort more fermentable. 90min maybe even 2hr mash at 62 would be what I would do (unless you can do multi rest in which case I would do a 60/70 mash and see what that does for you)

Back