Recipe For Old Boy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey all.
Im under pressure to make up an ale for my Father in law. He is a senior gent at 76, so he has informed me he wants about 3.5% alc, and not a very dark beer, just a fairly simple brew.
He has tried a few of my past beers, and they have been either too strong or too hoppy, so im thinking i just want to run a simple grainbill, and minimum hops. Maybe like: 2.5kg BB ale, 500g wheat, 100g Crystal? POR hops? Cluster?
Ideas welcome.

Hey all.
Im under pressure to make up an ale for my Father in law. He is a senior gent at 76, so he has informed me he wants about 3.5% alc, and not a very dark beer, just a fairly simple brew.
He has tried a few of my past beers, and they have been either too strong or too hoppy, so im thinking i just want to run a simple grainbill, and minimum hops. Maybe like: 2.5kg BB ale, 500g wheat, 100g Crystal? POR hops? Cluster?
Ideas welcome.

Try a mild... mash high (@69C) and use a low attenuator like Nottingham to leave some body in the beer.

Up the spec malt % in low alc beers to keep it nice and flavourful. Not dark at all. Will get you about 3.5%

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: English Mild II
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: Mild
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 26.62 L
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 12.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 51.28 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 25.64 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.30 kg Maize, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.15 kg Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.15 kg Caraaroma (203.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
30.00 gm Fuggles [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
15.00 gm Williamette [4.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.90 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 10.17 L of water at 75.8 C 69.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 4.06 L of water at 94.4 C 75.6 C

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try a mild... mash high (@69C) and use a low attenuator like Nottingham to leave some body in the beer.

Sounds like a great recipe, but I wouldn't call Nott a low attenuator! Every time I use it it goes hard and attenuates fully. I also find it strips a lot of the malt flavour out of a beer, which you don't want in this case. A good liquid English yeast might do the job tho?

Assuming the young guy is Australian born and bred, maybe make up a lower alc version of whatever he cut his teeth on, Reschs or Tooths or whatever and do something like:

4kg Ale or Pils
300 Caramalt

Mash 68 degrees

20g POR 60 mins

US 05

Out the back for a game of two up and do the hokey pokey or whatever they did back then B)

Edit: spotted Warwick there. If he's native then BB Ale and the hops and he'll think he's drinking Toowoomba Breweries from the 1950s :super:

Edit: spotted Warwick there. If he's native then BB Ale and the hops and he'll think he's drinking Toowoomba Breweries from the 1950s :super:

Sitting at the Whitehorse or the Luckona Hotel or 0ne of the other 50 pubs they used to have. The Luckona was a great little Pub until they made it all fancy and painted fresian cows on the outside :angry: Not to mention what they done to the Post Office Hotel

Sitting at the Whitehorse or the Luckona Hotel or 0ne of the other 50 pubs they used to have. The Luckona was a great little Pub until they made it all fancy and painted fresian cows on the outside :angry: Not to mention what they done to the Post Office Hotel

Would that be the spotted cow now? I really regret not being interested in home brewing and craft beer while I lived up there. Apparently it has a huge lineup of beers on tap.

Assuming the young guy is Australian born and bred, maybe make up a lower alc version of whatever he cut his teeth on, Reschs or Tooths or whatever and do something like:

4kg Ale or Pils
300 Caramalt

Mash 68 degrees

20g POR 60 mins

US 05

Out the back for a game of two up and do the hokey pokey or whatever they did back then B)

I agree with Bribie here, but would probably push the POR to 25-30g to get it more bitter. Keep it a simple Aussie beer.

QldKev

I'd use equal amounts (AA%) of Cluster and PoR at 60min to 25 IBUs but I'm a chronic fence-sitter. :D 2:1 Cluster to PoR

Aussie Ale

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Colour (SRM): 4.8
Bitterness (IBU): 23.9 (Tinseth)

90% Pale Ale Malt
10% Wheat Malt

1.0 g/L Pride of Ringwood (9.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1098 - British Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Latest posts

Back