Smelly Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieren

Reaction score
Just picked up a chest freezer for a kegging set up which had been sitting outside, unused, and developed a bit of a pong inside. I have given it a clean inside and out with a general purpose cleaner but it still smells.

Does anyone know of any good products/methods of removing bad smells in fridges/freezers without potentially damaging the surfaces? I've heard of baking soda being used but not sure how.

Cheers
Kieren

You can get a sponge and wipe the inside over with bicarb - about a tablespoon (more or less) should get the job done. Then do another wipe over with white vinegar. Then wipe the whole thing down with a damp sponge.

Or you can just add the bicarb to a glass of vinegar (watch out - it foams quite impressively!), stir it and then wipe the whole thing out ewith this mixture. Also keep a small bowl of bicarb at the bottom of your fridge to absorb any future odours...

You can get a sponge and wipe the inside over with bicarb - about a tablespoon (more or less) should get the job done. Then do another wipe over with white vinegar. Then wipe the whole thing down with a damp sponge.

Or you can just add the bicarb to a glass of vinegar (watch out - it foams quite impressively!), stir it and then wipe the whole thing out ewith this mixture. Also keep a small bowl of bicarb at the bottom of your fridge to absorb any future odours...

Don't mix the bicarb and vinegar. The vinegar is an acid, bicarb a base. Mixing them makes a neutral solution of salt. Use one then the other.

I've used PSR once to clean out a stinky chest freezer. Mix it up as per the directions, wear long rubber gloves and wipe away. Worked a treat. Currently the freezer smells of a fermenting porter, and nothing else ;)

Leave the freezer open (and switched off) when not in use.

Exit Mould will kill everything (including the lining of your lungs), but give it a spray with that and close the lid for 15 minutes. Be really careful sticking your head in there to wipe it out, but that will kill any odour...!

I'm sure there are more health-friendly ways to go about it, but that's a solution in a bottle.

After an anti bacterial based clean a quick wipe with a "little bit" of vanilla essence works wonders. :)

After an anti bacterial based clean a quick wipe with a "little bit" of vanilla essence works wonders. :)

What Doogiechap said !
Worked on an esky the kids left bait in.....for a week :eek:

Batz

I'll 2nd the vanilla & raise it by some charcoal. Get some nice black stuff from a fire place. Absorbs odours wonderfully & doens't need any elbow grease.

Crozdog

Latest posts

Back