Starter too hot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
I prepared a 500ml starter using my usual method with a stir bar, cooled it down, added my harvested WLP051, and then proceeded to leave it on top of the fermenting fridge instead of putting on the stir plate inside the fridge :unsure:

Got home from work at about 4pm and the outside of the flask was about 27C, so I'm assuming the starter got a bit hotter than that.

I've put the starter in the fermenting fridge and will let it fully ferment out. Was planning on cold crashing and decanting all the wort/beer and adding another 500ml of cooled wort and starting in the low 20s before pitching.

Any other ideas or thoughts on this?

They'll love you for it. Yeast's optimum breeding temp is well above our ferment temps, look at the rehydration temps as an indicator 30'c-40'c

rock on.

I really doesn't matter if your starter gets that hot, in fact it is a good thing because the yeast reproduce more successfully at warmer temps. I never control the temp of starters...

What you have proposed is fine.

Keep in mind if you do your starter in the optimum 30-40 degree range you shouldn't pitch the entire liquid.

If you do your starter at ferment temp or thereabouts you can pitch the whole starter which is useful if you do no chill and take some out of the batch for your starter.

With a starter on a stir plate, I'll let it ferment out at room temp then decant and pitch the yeast.

I don't really want to be adding any warm-fermented, oxygenated beer to my fresh wort.

My only question would be why you're planning on adding more wort after decanting rather than just pitching the decanted yeast? I doubt you'd get much more growth in 500ml

Blind Dog said:
My only question would be why you're planning on adding more wort after decanting rather than just pitching the decanted yeast? I doubt you'd get much more growth in 500ml
I didn't know if I'd messed up my original starter and had some dead yeast to make up for. I might drop it in a 1L starter and split for another batch.

Yob said:
They'll love you for it. Yeast's optimum breeding temp is well above our ferment temps, look at the rehydration temps as an indicator 30'c-40'c

rock on.
Thanks yob!

Latest posts

Back