Super Simple Electronic Thermostat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimpanda

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this interesting bit of kit?

I'm looking to use one to control a 25W mains-powered heater pad sitting under a fermenter in an unplugged fridge, for maintaining ale temperatures during winter.

It's not clear from the description or photo whether I would need to cut off the standard mains plugs on either or even both the heating device and mains input - anyone know?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...mp;form=KEYWORD

Otherwise, can anyone suggest something similar? I already have a fridge controller from G&G that I use during the warmer months... I regret not spending the extra few bucks for a dual heating/cooling one now...

I'm looking to use one to control a 25W mains-powered heater pad sitting under a fermenter in an unplugged fridge, for maintaining ale temperatures during winter.

It's not clear from the description or photo whether I would need to cut off the standard mains plugs on either or even both the heating device and mains input - anyone know?

Otherwise, can anyone suggest something similar? I already have a fridge controller from G&G that I use during the warmer months... I regret not spending the extra few bucks for a dual heating/cooling one now...

For $48 why not go
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=718

or even one of the ebay temp controllers.

The you can reuse you current one for other projects.

QldKev

Just read a long thread about the fridgemate. Looks like a much more flexible solution - only problem now is getting one.

Answered my own question re: the mains plugs on the input and output at least in the case that it doesn't come with a socket - just wire in the female ends of an extension lead :palmface:

The jaycar job will work. I used one a while ago to switch on a heat lamp I was using to keep epoxy resins from getting too cold overnight when building a boat. The resin would cool down o'night in winter and be difficult to pour and mix.

Fridgemates are out of stock at both Craftbrewer and Mashmaster.......

I am in the market for one.

You can get them from Stokes

http://www.stokesap.com.au/downloads/Eliwell_IC_Kits_LR.pdf

They also do an enclosure to fit them if you search around their site.
Another brand is Dixcell and you can get them from fridge repair people.
There is a place in Hindmarsh SA where I got (Dixcell) one but I cant remember their name

Cheers

search ebay for 'mini digital temperature controller', it will be sent from hong kong, but from what I can gather will do all that the fridgemate does.

took 6 days to get to me in NZ, was $48 NZ dollars including freight.

Don't see why your jaycar option wouldn't work, at least for turning heat on/off, but there is no remote sensor, so all the electronic gadgetry will be in a nice warm humid fridge, may not last that long.

Aquarium heaters seem to have a bad rep, due to hygene, I am trying one in a large waterbath, with the FV in the water bath, and the whole lot wrapped in a blanket. Trials at the moment with water in the FV seem to be looking good. the aquarium heater was NZD15

as a heads up it's only 5 amp, ok for fridge but not heating (unless it's 1200watt)

it's okay for heating, not cooling. The heat belt is only 25W, a fridge draws well over the max 3A allowed for inductive loads when starting.

Cheap solution, but because it doesn't have a temperature probe it won't give me the stability I'm after. Even inside a fridge wrapped in a blanked the temp swings are as big as 5-6C. I could get the same result from a $3 AC timer set to an hour on, an hour off (effectively halving the heating output).

Looks like a Fridgemate is the way to go, and I can sell the analogue G&G thermostat.

I used one of the Jaycar jobs for my brew cupboard. I had an insulated cupboard and the thermostat controlled a 60W bulb no worries and kept my fermentation at a pretty constant temp. It just came as the thermostat and I had to cut off a extn lead and wire it so that it controlled the bulb. I am an electrician so it wasnt hard to do.
Was happy with it but I had to chage the battery in it every month or two. And if it went flat during a brew it was a pain. The mains supply does not control the electronics and this needs a AAA battery.

Have now moved to the ebay controller on a fridge.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Digital-Temper...=item19bd4e4022

I tape the probe to the fermenter and isulate the outside of the probe. Can now keep very accurate temp control which if you listen to brew strong is very important. You want to control the temp of the fermenting beer and not the air around it.

I am an electrician so it wasnt hard to do.
Careful announcing that around here, mate. You'll be knee-deep in fridge controllers, stirplates, kettle elements and dodgy homebrew as currency before you know it :icon_cheers:

search ebay for 'mini digital temperature controller', it will be sent from hong kong, but from what I can gather will do all that the fridgemate does.

took 6 days to get to me in NZ, was $48 NZ dollars including freight.

Don't see why your jaycar option wouldn't work, at least for turning heat on/off, but there is no remote sensor, so all the electronic gadgetry will be in a nice warm humid fridge, may not last that long.

Aquarium heaters seem to have a bad rep, due to hygene, I am trying one in a large waterbath, with the FV in the water bath, and the whole lot wrapped in a blanket. Trials at the moment with water in the FV seem to be looking good. the aquarium heater was NZD15
What sort of temperature probe do they come with? I, too, want to control my HLT, and was thinking of buying another TempMate (cause it's ace!). If the temp probe is the same as a TempMate controller, it should be possible to use a keg dip stick, crimped at the end, and place the probe in that.

Can anybody see any issues with the probe being damaged from excessive exposure to high temperature?

Careful announcing that around here, mate. You'll be knee-deep in fridge controllers, stirplates, kettle elements and dodgy homebrew as currency before you know it :icon_cheers:
Either that, or he can start a side business in wiring up fridge controllers, stirplates, and kettle elements, all the while being paid in AWESOME homebrew.

Yup, I'm a glass half-full sort of bloke ;)

What sort of temperature probe do they come with? I, too, want to control my HLT, and was thinking of buying another TempMate (cause it's ace!). If the temp probe is the same as a TempMate controller, it should be possible to use a keg dip stick, crimped at the end, and place the probe in that.

Can anybody see any issues with the probe being damaged from excessive exposure to high temperature?
My Tempate (ordered last Christmas) came with a metal-looking (not stainless) probe on the end of the usual electrical cable.
The Ebay-job (ordered a few months ago now) came with a rubber-plastic type probe.

I think you'd need to protect either with a thermowell type setup, but I'd probably tend to trust a decent metal probe (than either of the two) if you were going to use it to control a HLT.

Back