$25 grain mill motor from bread maker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truman, I think you need to write up an article for the BBC newsletter. Looks awesome!

I'm sure I wrote a reply on here saying thank you very much Truman but it does not seem to be showing anymore. Will test it out tonight and build an enclosure for the motor too

I read this thread last night, went on gumtree and there was a tiffany brand around the corner for $10. I couldnt help myself and when and bought it.

Finally built a housing for the motor and components last night. Motor working great. Now I just need to get a metal worker to make an adapter for my mill and I'll be in business. Thanks Truman.

now i have to decide do i pull apart my spare bread maker coffee roaster for the motor ...
but then i could retire the ozito to just drilling duties :ph34r:

heaps of home coffee roaster use them for the base of their roasters (me included)

i even use my old capper as a heat gun mount :)

corretto.jpg

Told me wife about this and she picked me up a bread maker from the op shop yesterday so this will be a project for the weekend. Any tips would be appreciated as although I am not a complete electronic clutz And have wired a couple of stc1000s, I haven't attempted anything like this before.

take a few photos of the wiring to the motor before removing stuff so you can put it back together.
you will need to keep the capacitor starter bit to get it running

they are pretty simple once you get past the control panel.

Truman's motor mount pics are excellent with what he has done i reckon = simple and effective

Thanks mate, good advice about the photos will make sure I take plenty throughout the job.

Will be sure to keep the starter cap and try to avoid zapping myself.

Will post photos in this thread. Hard to imagine how people did anything before the internet and smart phones!

Started pulling the breadmaker apart tonight. Looks like the capacitor is attached to the circuit board. Do I need to remove it and solder some connections to it or is there a way to leave it on the board and get it going?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405079292.523692.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405079327.710282.jpg

Interesting thread ... was looking for something to power my mill, this looks like the perfect project. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

contrarian said:
Started pulling the breadmaker apart tonight. Looks like the capacitor is attached to the circuit board. Do I need to remove it and solder some connections to it or is there a way to leave it on the board and get it going?

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405079292.523692.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405079327.710282.jpg
How many wires are coming from your motor 2 or 3?

You could possibly leave the cap on the board if you could de solder and remove the other components and check the wiring to make sure that everything is correct. But if the cap has 2 decent feet that you can solder some wires too I would pull it off the board.
Option 2 is to just buy a new 3uf cap, there under $10.00.

Here is a simple wiring diagram. (DISCLAIMER:- If you dont know what your doing DONT TOUCH IT. Get a sparky)

Wiring.jpg

Thanks Truman, I have a mate who's a sparky so will have it checked by a professional to make sure it is all safe. No point mucking about with 240V! Will try to salvage the capacitor and if not possible will be off to the shops. Am also wondering if it would be possible to repurpose a chain cover from a bike to cover the belt and wheel.

contrarian said:
Am also wondering if it would be possible to repurpose a chain cover from a bike to cover the belt and wheel.
Don't see why not, good idea. But unless you have young kiddies I wouldnt bother.

Two kids under 3 with curious personalities, it's certainly worth looking into!

Sorry to revive a topic which has been quiet for a few weeks, but I scored a $10 sunbeam bread maker at the local salvos and pulled it apart last night. The motor looks different to the one pictured at the start of the tread but the pullies look the same. The only control board I could see only had a tiny capacitor on it (1/3 the size of a box of matches) and the motor had two wires and a ground to the metal casing of the motor.

Is the capacitor really needed? ie can I just hook the motor straight up to 240v?

From what I understandfrom reading alittle about these motors is they need the cap to actually start the motor spinning. Supposedly you dont need it but you need to hand crank the motor manually to get it spinning. Not really a good idea though. Motor wont last as long and you could injure yourself.
Macca

A cap start motor..

The capacitor gives the initial current to kick it off

Latest posts

Back