Ale Yeast For A Pilsner.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
I really love a good saaz flavored pilsner, but its hot, I'm thirsty, and I hate all the waiting around associated with brewing lagers.
Though the result obviously wont be quite the same, what would be a good yeast to match up with a pilsner grain bill?
I was thinking something like a German ale yeast like a Wyeast 1007 at around 15 deg.
How's that sound to you?

The 1007 currently unavailable from Craftbrewer unless you have access to another supplier. Personally I find you can't go wrong with US-05 / Wyeast 1056 in a fake lager.
Also S-23 will ferment ok at 19 degrees then cold condition for 10 days. Bacchus brewing do this and they make some very pleasant lagers - even Bo Pils style.

The 1007 currently unavailable from Craftbrewer unless you have access to another supplier. Personally I find you can't go wrong with US-05 / Wyeast 1056 in a fake lager.
Also S-23 will ferment ok at 19 degrees then cold condition for 10 days. Bacchus brewing do this and they make some very pleasant lagers - even Bo Pils style.
BribieG,
Would the 05 be fermented at 16-17deg or even 15deg. probably just take a few days longer.

#2112 Cal Common. Used this recently on a NS 3% fake lager with large pilsner grain bill. NS shown through, so would Saaz I suspect.

I'm with Bribie here. I've done a few sudo lagers with US-05 and set the temps 17 to 18. I have played with lower temps but have had random batches stall etc so I don't bother anymore. I haven't used Cal Common, but have heard good things about it.

QldKev

If you can keep it at 15c i would use S189 ( swiss Lager yeast ) or if using a liquid i would go with kenlock in using 2112

Rook

I only used the Wyeast Cal Common once, and it was a volcano job so I wrestled it down to 12 degrees then it produced a heap of sulphur. I had been trying to find a quick and easy yeast for an Aussie Lager but the Californian was neither.

I have a pack of Wyeast 2024 Danish Lager in the fridge at the moment and I'm going to use that for an All POR Aussie lager with da sugaz etc etc - I may be on the wrong track here but I seem to remember Thirsty Boy saying that it's not unlike the yeast that Carlton use (They source theirs from the big yeast bank in Copenhagen) and that they run it from early teens then rise it to high teens, then lager for 10 days. Tidal Pete did an Aussie on Wyeast Danish and it was spot on, a bit like a Carlton Crown with balls.

Interested to find out if it works ok from say 13 and let it rise gradually over ten days to 19 and then lager for 10 days, keg and be drinking just a bit over 3 weeks from pitching. I'll do wee blog on the brew - if it works it could be suitable for the OP and anyone else who can't be arsed with traditional lager fermentation times.

US-05 at 17C is very clean.

Used 2112 about 3 times now and it's reasonably clean but does have a certain unique flavour (not a bad one).

Nottingham also an option.

I've done the San Francisco Lager Yeast WLP810 at 14 degrees and it makes a nice, clean lager in my opinion.
My last one was Swiss Lager yeast S-189 at 17 degrees after hearing that Ross (Craftbrewer) use it at 19.
I did 10 days at 17 and 10 days at 1 degree and it was "ok" but quite fruity to me.
I brought it to the last brew meetup on Saturday and it seemed everyone tasting it said it was pretty nice.
But then again on a brew meetup you taste a lot of strong, hoppy beers so I am not sure how good the review of fruity/clean opinion of a lager is then.

I will try the S-189 again as I have one more pack and if not better luck I am going back to WLP810 which is quick and clean in the few beers I've made with it.
I did a light beer with it and the low attenuation leaves a little body as well.

Not suggesting not to use US-05 of course, just saying if the reasoning is speed, use a lager yeast that can go higher rather than an ale yeast is another option.

my 2c

Bjorn

Personally ide go for a kolsh yeast, ferment cool...but S05 is good choice also!

Why not mix an ale and lager yeast? Something like half a packet of US05 and a full packet of W34/70 or S-189...

That way it'll ferment well, clean but still leave a bit of a lager profile

Whitelabs produce an "American Ale Blend" that includes a lager yeast to give the lager profile

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp060.html

I'll add a +1 to the WY1007. ferment at about 16, wasnt at all sluggish or slow, fermented out from 1050 to 1014 in about 10 days ( could have been less, didnt check the beer until the 10 day mark) and just CC'd for a week.

I've done 2 x batches of Summer Sazz Pilsner using W34/70 at 12 - 16 degrees anc comes out an absolute treat :beerbang: . Its a german variety, and high recommend you give this ago!!!

I really love a good saaz flavored pilsner, but its hot, I'm thirsty, and I hate all the waiting around associated with brewing lagers.
Though the result obviously wont be quite the same, what would be a good yeast to match up with a pilsner grain bill?
I was thinking something like a German ale yeast like a Wyeast 1007 at around 15 deg.
How's that sound to you?

I love the 1007 yeast but to get it to its best, you still need to ferment low (which takes longer) then give it a good dose of cold to get the yeast to drop out and the beer to clear nicely. Not sure how much time you'd be saving.

05 for neutral and quick(er).

Brewmasterz got any more info on this pils of yours?

Nottingham - speedy, works well at lower temps and doesn't throw many esters at 14 degrees.

Easy to use dry yeast, lager-like result (though it can get frustrating for ales, as it tends to strip the hops down), highly attenuative.

I find S189 at 14C is faster than US05 at 18C.

I can't remember what the stuff is that the lager yeast doesn't eat (and ale does), and that faint whiff of sulphur ... and IMO fake lagers using ale yeast aren't fake lagers, they're bland ales with noble hops.

As always, YMMV.

Latest posts

Back