Another Lagering Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys/Girls,
Going O/S next Wed 26th for 18/19 days. While away, i thought i would let a Pilsener lager the traditional way. But going back over Lagering techniques, i wo'nt have time, would i be better fermenting with Notto. Brewing tomorrow, ferment @ 15-16deg., then next Tues. rack to secondary and drop to 5deg. till i get back then bottle. This way i don't have to worry about Diacetyl rest. Any thing else to think about?.
Cheers
Briby

Sorry, not a very explanatory post. What i should have said was let a Pilsener ferment the traditional lager way. But i wo'nt have time for a Diacetyl rest. So will use Notto @ 15deg. raise to 20deg. for 2 days, then rack to secondary before i leave, & drop to 5deg. till i get back.

If your using Nottingham ale yeast you won't need a diacetyl rest.

Just leave it at 15c and it will be reasonably clean.

I'm not sure what you mean. You're brewing tomorrow (Wednesday), I'm assuming AG then chilling, so you'll have the yeast in Wed night. That's a bit over 5 days in the primary by Tuesday which isn't a long time and I don't get why it's necessary to rack to the secondary. To address diacetyl you really need it on healthy yeast.

How long are you away for? If it's not done fermenting at day 5 then I don't think Nottingham is going to do much/any work at 5°C. Which is a bit too high to lager anyway.

If you're away for 5 weeks I'd follow Mikey's advice and pitch at normal rates and leave it on the yeast at 10-12°C for the entire duration. If you pitch the right amount of yeast diacetyl shouldn't be a big concern. I think it's a better option than racking a mostly done ale yeast. It's a pilsner anyway, I think you'll get a lot more out of doing the first part of the fermenting the right way with the right yeast to ge a proper pilsner.

you will find at the low end of the lager temp range you will get a much cleaner beer and not even need to do a d-rest BUT you do need a lot of healthy yeast and time (holidays help you out there). IMHO you will be happier with a lager than a pseudo ale wannabe

TheWiggman said:
I'm not sure what you mean. You're brewing tomorrow (Wednesday), I'm assuming AG then chilling, so you'll have the yeast in Wed night. That's a bit over 5 days in the primary by Tuesday which isn't a long time and I don't get why it's necessary to rack to the secondary. To address diacetyl you really need it on healthy yeast.

How long are you away for? If it's not done fermenting at day 5 then I don't think Nottingham is going to do much/any work at 5°C. Which is a bit too high to lager anyway.

If you're away for 5 weeks I'd follow Mikey's advice and pitch at normal rates and leave it on the yeast at 10-12°C for the entire duration. If you pitch the right amount of yeast diacetyl shouldn't be a big concern. I think it's a better option than racking a mostly done ale yeast. It's a pilsner anyway, I think you'll get a lot more out of doing the first part of the fermenting the right way with the right yeast to ge a proper pilsner.
Cheers Wigg, wasn't sure if leaving @ 10c for the duration would clear up any diacetyl, i know now for future reference. Bringing up to boil now, have a pack of Notto, will leave in primary till just before leaving, & rack to secondary where it can clear for 3wks.

Mikey said:
you will find at the low end of the lager temp range you will get a much cleaner beer and not even need to do a d-rest BUT you do need a lot of healthy yeast and time (holidays help you out there). IMHO you will be happier with a lager than a pseudo ale wannabe
Cheers Mikey, was prepared to throw 2 packs of 34/70 @ it, if i had of known i could leave it for 3wks. Probably end up doing a comparison in the near future. Have seen BribyG state that he brews psuedo Lagers with good results, but a much better brewer than i.

briby said:
Cheers Wigg, wasn't sure if leaving @ 10c for the duration would clear up any diacetyl, i know now for future reference. Bringing up to boil now, have a pack of Notto, will leave in primary till just before leaving, & rack to secondary where it can clear for 3wks.
Why not just leave it in the primary for 4 weeks on a lager yeast?
Edit: I assume because you only have Nottingham and don't have access to another yeast?

TheWiggman said:
Why not just leave it in the primary for 4 weeks on a lager yeast?
Edit: I assume because you only have Nottingham and don't have access to another yeast?
I could, have LHBS near by, if 4 weeks on yeast cake is ok, i'll duck in & grab 2 packs & ferment @?.

briby said:
I could, have LHBS near by, if 4 weeks on yeast cake is ok, i'll duck in & grab 2 packs & ferment @?.
4 weeks on a yeast cake at lager temps is nothing to be concerned about. However to pitch at the optimal rate for cold lager fermenting you need about 4 packs of yeast for a 20 litre batch. Two packs will work, but you will get a better result with the correct pitching rate. That why a yeast starter is really the way to go for a lager. Wyeast 2042 or 2142 would be my choice @10C.

I get 2 packs of 11.5g lager yeast for 20l of 1.048 using Mr Malty. How did you work out 4 packs?

TheWiggman said:
I get 2 packs of 11.5g lager yeast for 20l of 1.048 using Mr Malty. How did you work out 4 packs?
I was assuming liquid yeast. I typically need 400B for A 21L batch.

Plenty of good options here. If you have the gear, and definitely have the time why not put the extra effort into the real lager.

Notto is good when you want a lager but don't want to tie up your equipment to long.

Latest posts

Back