Burner Vs Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJedi

Reaction score
Tossing up weather to spend $200 on a 40cm x 40cm gas jet burner

or

Buy a heating element an "installing" that into my kettle.

The element, although, the cheaper option will give me less control over temperatures???
Where as the jet burner is a better long term option???

Thoughts anyone???

what are you going to use if for?

For a HLT, herms, kettle, BIAB?

QldKev

Its for my Kettle, that is currently also doubling as my Hot Liquor tank at the moment.

I think the burner is the best way, more money, more hardcore, more control.

For a HLT I think the element with a basic controller is the best, so easy to dial up desired temp and let it do it's thing.

For the kettle I don't think you can beat a decent LPG burner for pure grunt to save time on brew day. If you can get the NASA burners still I would go that way over the Mongolian, as you have shown in the first pic. Although personally I have a 20jet Mongolian I still think the NASA wins as the best burner yet. you will find the Mongolian burner heaps cheaper than $200; try auscrown.com

QldKev

Tossing up weather to spend $200 on a 40cm x 40cm gas jet burner

or

Buy a heating element an "installing" that into my kettle.

The element, although, the cheaper option will give me less control over temperatures???
Where as the jet burner is a better long term option???

Thoughts anyone???

You know what, I was a big fan of the all electric system. My last was exactly that. My now not so new system is part the opposite. I had an element in my last kettle but did find it a pita because the element does get a build up of crud overtime. I won't enter into any debate regarding scorching of the wort because honestly I never ever had any issues. I currently use the 23jet mongrel burner like you have pictured. The only draw back with this type of burner is the amount of sooting that you get when trying to wind it back to avoid a boil over.There is a fair bit of discussion on that if you look. I now use a small squirt bottle with water that I spray over the cap in the initial stage when the boil starts. Works wonders.

BYB

i recently moved from a nasa burner, which is a ver nice burner, to all electric. haven't looked back - cheaper, far less PITA not having to get gas bottles refilled and the new SS sheathed element i have makes cleaning it much much easier. If i were doing double batches and needing something that'd trip the standard 10A circuit (and hence having to fork out for an electrician to come pay a visit etc) then the equation might be a bit different...

Everyone is different, but for me, I'd never trade the control and grunt my italian spiral gives me (especially with my adjustable regulator).

I started using gas but moved to electric elements in my HLT and kettle and wouldn't use anything else. If you were doing larger batches and needed more heat, just use two elements in your kettle and make sure you're plugged into two different power circuits. YMMV.

sap.

I am with MeLoveBeer - I use my Italian Spiral for everything and I am sure I will be getting another at some stage so I can fire up the wort in the kettle and keep my boil water at temp for mashing/sparging. Then again, it WAS good when I had access to free LPG (which is no longer the case since SWMBO changed jobs... :( )

I started with a mongolian burner and got sick and tired of running up to the gas refill place every four or so brews . So I decided to go electric . I have one for the bod and one for the kettle and never looked back .

:D

I started with a mongolian burner and got sick and tired of running up to the gas refill place every four or so brews . So I decided to go electric . I have one for the bod and one for the kettle and never looked back .

:D

Am curious BB, how easy is it to drop the temp when the break appears in the boil? The main reason I never considered electric for my kettle, was that I thought it'd be difficult to prevent boil overs?

Am curious BB, how easy is it to drop the temp when the break appears in the boil? The main reason I never considered electric for my kettle, was that I thought it'd be difficult to prevent boil overs?

i don't use any control, just a 2200W element. a little sluggish getting to boil, but once it's there, dump in hops and leave uncovered.

My 2c -

If all grain...
If on a budget get a high pressure nasa burner ~$100. Allows you to manage your HLT and Kettle.
If HLT only - go electric (min 2400W) and a controller - easy to manage allows to use a timer have your mash in water ready when you what it. A bit more effort to install etc
If Kettle - go a burner possibly easier to control (however i do not have direct experience with electric on a kettle)

$200 appears to be on the high end of town just for a burner/ stand (no regulator, as pictured)

go the F1-11 fuel dump

6.jpg

If electric - what type of controller are you guys using? Just bought an immersion heater and was thinking of just dropping it into the HLT but the idea of the controller sounds perfect! Where can I get one?

If electric - what type of controller are you guys using? Just bought an immersion heater and was thinking of just dropping it into the HLT but the idea of the controller sounds perfect! Where can I get one?

Unless its a very, very small volume an immersion heater will struggle to get it done (at least not an immersion heater like the ones they sell at my local LHBS's).

As for a controller, any of the ones from the sponsors listed above will do (just make sure that they are for heating).

edit: Re the immersion heater, just remembered seeing one of these recently and reckon they'd be fine (when I think immersion heater, I think similar to a fishtank heater)

There are several threads on gas v electric. If u search u will find heaps of info incl one thread that even coated usage out.

It's horses for courses. Personally I Can't stand cooking with Electricity. I like gas. so I've got electric hlt where less responsiveness is needed and gas burner for kettle.

I'm a bit obsessed with this topic, but I figure this is the least wierd place for that, right? Here's $0.02:

We changed our electric Hot water service over to NG. Back then the NSW govt was giving a rebate for doing so. I spent Morris Iemma's money on a NG outlet in the garage.
If its in your house already, NG is great. It was like moving from bottles to kegging. A bit of coin upfront, but paid for itself by about the 10th brew. There are a few drawbacks of gas though IMHO:

In theory NG $per MJ is the same as electricity. In practice, its much easier to be efficient with electricity. Electric HLT is the go for price, precision and convenience. Also For the cost of a new immersion heater you can get a 2nd hand 18L urn (which is the heater with a vessel on it) Bit safer than the Masterchef branding Iron.

So cheapest to most expensive goes:
Free LPG! :rolleyes:
Electricity
Natural Gas
100Kg LPG
9KG LPG

Also, the noise! A mongolian or a NASA makes you raise your voice when having a conversation nearby. Yardy, you must be deaf!
Seriously, You wont find out if its a problem unless you see one in action before you buy it. If you haven't done so already, try and visit someone who has the burner you are keen on. I would have tried for something quieter if I did it again.

Has anyone seen a practical wood fired setup? Short of a campfire with a kettle on it, I wonder if there's a cleaner way to do it?

We heat the house with a combustion stove. The stupid flue pokes into the Garage and warms it nicely, which is great while I'm in there, but a real waste when I am not. :angry: I have often dreamed of wrapping a copper pipe around it for some sort of steam setup.

Energy OCD, its a curse people!

Back