Carbonation And Dry Hopping Correlation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps this one has actually finished primary?

:lol:

Good point though. Truman, make sure your fermentation is completely finished before bottling. If you bottle a little bit early you will probably have great carb after 4 days... :eek:
Your previous beers had a some carb (hopefully a small amount?) after 4 days so you're probably ok here.

3 days at a constant FG before cc and you should be good to go.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here, but finishing ferment before bottling is important.

Cheers.

:lol:

Good point though. Truman, make sure your fermentation is completely finished before bottling. If you bottle a little bit early you will probably have great carb after 4 days... :eek:
Your previous beers had a some carb (hopefully a small amount?) after 4 days so you're probably ok here.

3 days at a constant FG before cc and you should be good to go.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here, but finishing ferment before bottling is important.

Cheers.
Yeh mate I had 4 days at the same fg then CC,d for a week before bottling.

It is worth noting (and is rarely mentioned) that a stable FG isn't the only thing to consider. FG must be stable and appropriate for ingredients/mash regime. Temp can also be an issue.

A stout I bottled in August had great carb after only 2 days using US05. Go figure.
Coopers yeast is a good flocculator and a bit slower. The last time I used Coopers it was carbed in 4 days and had been sitting in the FV for 3 to 4 weeks.
Coopers beer is so dry it's like soda water on the tongue. :eek:

Hey should mention, my stout was bottled primed with raw sugar and the Coopers was bottle primed with brown sugar.
Probably would have taken the Coopers longer to carb had I used a different priming sugar. Yeast love brown sugar. ;)

It is worth noting (and is rarely mentioned) that a stable FG isn't the only thing to consider. FG must be stable and appropriate for ingredients/mash regime. Temp can also be an issue.

Couldn't agree more.

Truman: even if three of four other brews acted in a particular way doesn't mean too much. Beer is a living thing (or close enough to) and each batch may be a bit different. If you want to assess it, you at least need to wait the recommended time before stressing.

I've had some batches start to carb in two days, others take 3-4 weeks or more.

Dry hops have nothing to do with it though (bits of floating hop may provide nucleation points but won't make yeast work any quicker).

First of all. I think dry hopping is not the reason.

Some possibilities from my brains.

1. That bottle was badly rinsed when desinfected (if used rinsable desinfector). Try another
2. Too much alcohol already? Yeast cannot handle more.
3. Maybe bottling vessel have a bad rinse.
4. Too warm and yeast are dead. (Bottlling vessel or something)
5. Too cold and yeast are dormant.
6. Wrong ingredient to corbonating (salt instead sugar).
7. Botlle not get it's priming, you forget to put it in there.
8. Forget to put priming sugar to batch.

And Lots of reasons not listed when we do not know more of session. ;)

And I'm not repeat what other says...

Thanks guys for the replies, lots of great information as always.
I tried two bottles and both were dead flat. But yeh theres lots of things to consider, which dry hopping isnt one of them as mentioned.

I always use brown sugar to prime as well, so good to know yeast love it.

If you used Wyeast 2112, then chilling for a week will drop a fair amount of yeast out. I'd say you just have less yeast in the bottle so it will take a little longer. 2112 drops out pretty well even at ferment temp, in my experience anyway

If you normally dry hop in a bag and squeeze the bag out before bottling then you get a good amount of yeast in suspension insuring good level of inoculation into the bottle.
Depending on your process, it's possible your dry hopping may have something to do with it.
Just check the bottles are sealed properly and wait. :chug:

Latest posts

Back