Coopers Irish Stout Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agarn

Reaction score
Just kegged one of these to try a Guiness clone. Recipe was;

Coopers Irish Stout
1kg Light Malt liquid extract
1kg Dark malt liquid extract
300 grams dried corn extract
standard coopers yeast.
Primary was 8 days @ 21 degrees.

Question; OG was off the dial on my small hydrometer. FG was 1024. (should have been about 1018) Seems a bit high but all was quiet and steady. I have been told that the % should be about 9%! To me that means that the OG would be massively high. Any ideas and what the estimated OG would be and if the % estimate is correct?

Agarn

have a play with the Brewcraft Brewer's calculator. It'll help you work out the expected gravity until you are ready to try brewing programs like Promash and Brewsmith (or Brewsta etc etc). I make the og about 1059 for a 23 litre batch. You'd only get about 9% if you made it up to only 15 litres.

A better hydrometer may be a good idea if you plan to do more strong batches, though it's not really essential for now as you can work out the gravity accurately for extract batches.

The FG is a bit high as you say. 8 days is not all that long. For the next batch, you could leave it a bit longer to drop a few points. Still, should be fine. Enjoy. :)

Agarn,
I don't have access to promash or beersmith. However, there is a simple on-line calculator available at brewcraft.com.au

I plugged your ingredients in, and the result is in this attachment.

Cheers,

M

[edit] Only the quick and the dead around here! [/edit]

estimate.JPG

I had a coopers stout stick on 1026 gravity,so i racked it and 2 days later it was on 1018.Just maybe you're brew has stuck. B)

Rather than racking, a gentle swirl may help. This will resuspend the yeast and release some of the dissolved carbon dioxide from the brew. Too much carbon dioxide stops the yeast from working.

Racking will help remove some of the dissolved carbon dioxide, but will also remove the beer from the yeast cake.

I think you might find that your additional fermentables are just too much for the coopers yeast (especially if it's a little old). If you can get to a HBS, pick up a sachet of ale yeast ( cost about $2), rehydrate it and add it to the fermenter. Should kick the fermentation along. Avoid any areation of the wort as this may well result in oxidation of the alcohol produced and consequent off-flavours.

Latest posts

Back