CPA starter struggling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Reaction score
I've bought the recipe for a Coopers Sparkling Ale a while back before the heat wave hit. At the same time, I bought a CSA longneck with best after late October. I got it from the fridge and have stored it in the fridge since.
I made a starter on Thursday (1l/100g LDM) and there was not much going on. Stir, and it wouldn't do the familiar fizzing like all my other starters. I decided last night to get some CPA stubbies to give it a bit of help and unloaded the yeast of two of them into the starter. Apter 12h nothing is changing. I'm doing a brew tomorrow and will be no-chilling and pitching on Monday.

What should I do? My other option is the remnants of a 1028 in a longneck which I might pitch to the starter today (and enjoy the brown porter). It attenuated hard so should get down 1.004. I can't see an issue with the two yeasts assuming the CPA is dead from the warm weather.

With such a small amount of yeast, you should be starting in a smaller volume and stepping up, 100 to 500 to 2 lt or some such, there are some step calculators about, I think Mr malt may even have one? Not sure.

I've not tried starting from dregs personally, but everything I've read matches what yob said.

On a more practical note, the white labs Aussie ale is apparently the coopers strain. Not available all year, but a much simpler option unless you're into the challenge of the step up process.

Righto. I might decant the yeast residue to a saucepan, do a smaller starter, then transfer back.

• I decanted about 300ml of the yeast + LDM in to a saucepan (tipped out most clear stuff)
  • Boiled 25g of LDM in 200ml of water.
  • Cooled, poured the saucepan contents back in that morning.
No real activity all day with a minor sign of bubbling that night. The next morning, the krausen was definitely formed with fizzing occurring whenever it was shaken. All day it was going fairly bezerk and was getting swirled at every opportunity. Strange it took so long to get going, but worked in the end. Thanks for the advice.

It's been in the fermenter for about a week and isn't moving past 1.011. Target is 1.005. I know I underpitched and don't have more yeast on hand. Already gave it a stir.

Should I make another starter, knowing it will take until the weekend at least before it's ready (then more time to ferment), or just keg it? It tastes fine but obviously will be a bit low on ABV to be a CSA, and probably a bit sweet.

Latest posts

Back