Cubed Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickydp1979

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made an all grain wort about 2 weeks ago, boiled it all up and then put in a cube overnight to cool. Once cool it has been sitting in my fridge at around 4deg for the past 2 weeks while I wait for my tempmate to arrive. I am worried about it being infected over that time, as I am not too sure on the seal of the cube. Question is:

Should I just place straight in the fermenter with my smack pack yeast?

Or

Quickly boil the lot to kill any nasties before chilling and then add the yeast.

I have resisted the temptation to open it up to check as I want to do just before pitching the yeast.

Cheers

Don't open the cube. it'll be fine.

Have a good whiff of it after you have poured it vigorously into your fermenter, before you chuck the yeast in if your worried.

RDWHAHB.

FYI - I have kept cubes for months at room temp 25deg with no issues.
The caveat is the cube needed to be clean when the wort went in, as much air as possible is squashed out of your cube, and the wort went in and stayes above 65degrees celcius for more than 20 minutes (to pasteurize it).

I tip mine on the side for the first 20 to make sure all surfaces are pateurised.

PB

Thanks Pocket,

I poured the wort into the cube hot, rolled it around and then squashed as much air out of it as I could. The next morning it had returned to original shape. That is when I stuck it in the fridge. That is why I am a bit concerned, as it may have sucked in an infection.

I will just have to wait an check it at pitching time.

Thanks Pocket,

I poured the wort into the cube hot, rolled it around and then squashed as much air out of it as I could. The next morning it had returned to original shape. That is when I stuck it in the fridge. That is why I am a bit concerned, as it may have sucked in an infection.

I will just have to wait an check it at pitching time.

My cube doesn't always seal perfectly, never had any problems although I usually pitch within four or five days. In future to be double sure you could clingwrap the entire top of the cube, take 2 minutes. I'm sure you'll be right on this occasion.

Back