Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmasterz

Reaction score
Hi there,

Sorry if this thread has been done before.... I couldn't find anything on Dry hopping problems!

I am relatively new to Brewing and have made about 5 brews so far. I just kegged a batch yesterday and thought I would try dry hopping. I used a can of Coppers brewmaster pilsner, and dry hooped 20 grams of Saaz and 10 grams of Amarillo in a muslin sock (Was planning on drinking the keg in 14 day at a party!). I did do a taste test today, but it was an arwfully strong flavour from the hopps. Does the flavour of the hopps subside a little and how long does it takes.

I appreciate your help,

Cheers

Flavor/aroma from dry hopping will disipate with time. Can you give us some more info about the whole recipe you used for this brew?

Also the strong hop flavour you tasted was it bitterness? vegetal? fruity?

Cheers SJ

Flavor/aroma from dry hopping will disipate with time. Can you give us some more info about the whole recipe you used for this brew?

Also the strong hop flavour you tasted was it bitterness? vegetal? fruity?

Cheers SJ

Sj,

I used 1 x 1.7 kg Can Coopers Brewmaster Pilsner, 300grm dextrose & 500grams LDME.
The aroma very fruity & floral and the taste was a cross between vegetable & fruit... Am I on the right track???

Cheers,

Amarillo is an interesting choice for a pilsner, but a tasty hop none the less! The fruity and floral aromas would be coming from the Amarillo i would guess and the this would also be the fruity flavour.

I've never dry hopped with Saaz though so i can't comment too much on what flavour this would give.

If dry hops are left in the beer too long you can get a vegetal, grassy flavour usually more than 10 days i think. (some of the grassyness may be coming from the saaz???).

Cheers SJ

Sorry dont wanna take over your thread here... but when you dry hop do you just chuck straight into fermenter once the fermentation has slowed/ended? or is there more to it than this?? cheers

Sorry dont wanna take over your thread here... but when you dry hop do you just chuck straight into fermenter once the fermentation has slowed/ended? or is there more to it than this?? cheers

Once the fermentation is finished, I crash chill the beer to drop out any yeast that is left behind for 10 - 12 hours, I drop the Hopped Muslin sock into the Keg and rack the beer onto the muslin sock. Seal the keg and carbonate the beer.

SJ, I am trying replicate Blue Tongue Pilsner which has Amarillo in it as well as Saaz.

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back