Esky Mash Tun Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm making the leap from extract to all grain, however I've still to get my hands on a mash tun
I've found some really interesting things on the net about esky conversions. Was wondering if any one
had one for purchase or knew where i could get one cheap

The esky must have one of those draining outlets at the bottom and be around the 20 litre mark
any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Aaron

I made the conversion to AG this year, initially on the lowest possible budget. Look at garage sales in your area, I picked my esky up for $5 and it's doing the job well. Doesn't need to have the drainage hole, just drill your own where you want the outlet.

I'll second DrSmurto's recommendation. When I mashed in a cooler, I used a 48qt model, which is about 48l. No problems with it containing everything unless you decide to do a very high gravity beer or go to double batches.

I agree 20 litres for a mashtun is definitely too small for a standard batch. Go for at least 35 litres or bigger. If you don't want to afford to buy one at retail prices, try somewhere like a garage sale.

I mash in a 25 litre cooler, and it is only just adequate, and I need to do a mash out to max capacity and also fully fill it for the sparge to collect the 30 to 31 litres I need for a standard batch.

I drilled my own hole. You can seal it with some silicone, or make your own washers by cutting them from a silicone baking tray.

I got a 50 Litre for $40 from the reject shop

Has a drain tap that is removable and just happens to be 1/2" bsp size.
I got a couple of fittings and bits from bunnings and made a removable manifold, I can now do a replacement without damage and revet back to an esky if required

Andy

I got a couple of fittings and bits from bunnings and made a removable manifold, I can now do a replacement without damage and revet back to an esky if required

Andy

+1, My (almost complete) mash tun has the removable platic tap.

I have gone with a 50L unit for double batches.

I found mine at a cash converter for $10. 50 Litre Esky Brand.

Give it a go. might be able to talk them down like I did.

cheers

I scored an 80 litre round drinks cooler from someone who had no use for it as they had lost the lid.
Council pick up times are your friend.

Andy

Yeah actually i seen them, i ended up just getting one from kmart, see how it goes

Aaron

Back