Filtering And Filter Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osangar

Reaction score
I still bottle, I dont mind bottling so much and kegs are basically out of the question as far as the partner goes.

When I finish the boil/cool, I whirlpool the wort and drain directly into the fermentor via a tap; I do use a stainless strainer with cheese cloth over the top to catch most of the particles especially at the end.

This produces a clear beer, although with light coloured beers, I can see some stuff in there when held up to the light.

Any suggestion on a gravity filter setup or something

I still bottle, I don’t mind bottling so much and kegs are basically out of the question as far as the partner goes.

When I finish the boil/cool, I whirlpool the wort and drain directly into the fermentor via a tap; I do use a stainless strainer with cheese cloth over the top to catch most of the particles – especially at the end.

This produces a clear beer, although with light coloured beers, I can see some “stuff” in there when held up to the light.

Any suggestion on a gravity filter setup or something

Is the stuff you are seeing perhaps yeast? I would think everything from the kettle would be captured by you strainer/cheese cloth combo is not settled out in fermentation.

Yes, I would say a good portion is yeast, although there is an amount of particles or varying origin in some cases. It is not a huge cloud of particles tho.

I am by no means an expert but your beer will most likely clear if you do a couple of different or all of these things.

- Rack into a secondary fermenter when your ferment is 3/4 through this will improve clarity

- If you have the time/ patience / fridge Drop the temp to almost zero for a few days to a week. As well as conditioning your beer you may also find increased clarity.

- If you have the urge you could drop some finings/gelatin in at either the primary or secondary phase. This will drop anything that is going to drop out.

As I said I am by no means a guru, this is what has been shared with me over recent times.

TC

Ahhhh you have chill haze!

In your pale beers, add 1% Weyermann Acidulated malt and try a 52 deg protein for 10 min.

I mash in at 2L/kg @ 52 deg for 10 min.While this mashes i heat the other 1 liter/kg to boiling and chuck it in and stir in quickly to acheive your mash temp. Promash will work out the exact amounts it hit perfect temps ect.

Also..... try a 90 min boil that is good and rolling constanty. Let it boil for half hout befor adding any hops.

Try irish moss or Kopafloc.

Also if your filtering....... drop the beer temp to below 5 deg and filter it cold. That way the haze is formed and the filter will catchi t.

Thats what works for me

cheers

Cheers Tony, yes I think chill haze could be a factor.

I do rack after a week, and use wirfloc.

Ill give the Acidulated malt and protein rest a go next brew day.

Latest posts

Back