How Do You Say "amarillo"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I say Amarillo like:

• Am-a-RILLO (as in "pillow")

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Am-a-REE-YO (as do the Spaniards)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brewer_010

Curry Master
Reaction score
Fellow brewers :

I thought this poll might be interesting to see whether anyone else says Amarillo (as in "pillow").

I wikipedia'd amarillo recently and discovered it's a spanish name, so the way its pronounced is different to how I was saying it...this might seem bleeding obvious to some, but not to me.

Poll away - be patient its my first poll!

Had a quick look on dictionary.com

Amarillo /ˌməˈrɪloʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[am-uh-ril-oh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
noun
a city in NW Texas. 149,230.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
Amarillo (ām'ə-rĭl'ō, -rĭl'ə) Pronunciation Key
A city of northern Texas in the Panhandle north of Lubbock. The city grew after the coming of the railroad in 1887 and the discovery of gas (1918) and oil (1921). Population: 180,000.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source
amarillo
name given to several species of Amer. trees, from Sp., from Arabic anbari "yellow, amber-colored," from anbar "amber," probably from L. amarus "bitter," "through application to some bitter (yellow) substance, such as gall" [Buck]. The city Amarillo in Texas, U.S., may be so called from the color of the banks of a nearby stream.

Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001 Douglas Harper

I've always pronounced it am-uh-ril-oh, and thats the way I heard it referred to in the US.

edit: To refer to wikipedia:

Despite having a name of Spanish origin, the City of Amarillo is pronounced in English as "Am-ah-RILL-oh" rather than "Ah-mah-REE-yoh".

The only real way to find out would be to contact Virgil Gamache Farms and see which way they think it should be pronounced.

I dare someone to call it amareeyo in public.

Don't want to be "Dreaming dreams of Amarillo" and be "weeping like a willow"

But I guess it would be correct to pronounce it the Texas way "Amarillo" since it's an American hop in preference to the "south of the border way" Armareeyo.

No use Crying over Amarillo

Sha la la la la la la

the residents of amarillo US pronounce it same as us, am a rill o. Seen a couple of shows on Fox TVs CI channel and this town has been on there a couple of times.

Just think of the Tony Christie song...

Show me the way to Amarillo.

OK So I'm showing my age. <_<

Warren -

:D c'mon now Kai, let's not take beer where wine has been.

Another name for dropping by the head up arse Chardonnay brigade. Can hear it now "Love an unwooded Chardie, with just the slightest hint of Armarreeyo hops"

Thank god that phase is done, well in most places. Use them for making sparkling I say, make something worth drinking.

I lived in Texas for 2 1/2 years. I'm guessing that if they have no problem pronouncing tortilla as "torteeya", then they'd have no problem with Amarillo. If they pronounce it with an "L", so shall I.

Oh, and Jalapeo is pronounced "halapenyo".

Good call, tangent. You'll never catch me saying tempranillow in public.

i say it the american way...!
but have always wondered if it should be said the spanish way..
i like my cycling and the "gold" jersey in the spanish Vuelta is the 'amarillo' jersey, pronounced "ree-yo"

American Hop, lets go with that

Just think of the Tony Christie song...

Show me the way to Amarillo.

OK So I'm showing my age. <_<

Warren -

Johnny Cash also pronounces it Am-a-rill-o in his version of "I've Been Everywhere". Can you get much more "American" than Johnny Cash??? Can you get much more "American" than an Amarillo-hopped APA??? I rest my case...

Warren, you may be showing your age, but I just showed that I am a Johnny Cash fan!! :lol: :lol:

Overheard some guys asking for Armadillo hops yesterday. Had to wait till i got outside the shop to crack up at that one.

Just don't get me started on Jal-a-peeeeno chillies. Aaaahhhhhhgggg.

DK

these days i just ask my LHBS for the "fruit salad" hops :p

Alleviates my guilt over being a Neil Diamond fan. B)

Warren -
"Dreamin' dreams of Ammarilloh, where sweet Maria waits for me".

Warren, shame on (admitting) the Neil Diamond thing, but it least it's not bloody Barry Manilow singing Copacabana.

Is no-one a GG Allin fan? Is it pronounced GG Ayyin?

What about sinsemilla? Does anyone use that term any more?

As for jalapeno, I heard a great pronunciation tip. it's hala-pain-yo (emphasis on the pain, oooh! :( )

Seth's 2 cents has expired, please insert further comments to continue this game.

Beerz :p

Overheard some guys asking for Armadillo hops yesterday. Had to wait till i got outside the shop to crack up at that one.

Anyone remember that docco about cane toads, the Latin name of which is Bufo marinus? There is a great segment in the movie when this crusty old Aussie keeps referring to "those blasted buffalo merinos." :lol:

As for amarillo v. amareeyoh or jalapeeno v halepainyoh etc, there is no right or wrong. There is no compulsion to follow the original pronounciation when a word is borrowed into a foreign language. Look at all the French words we have borrowed that are not pronounced anything like they are in French (and you can substitute masses of languages there for French). And same in reverse. I live in Japan and forever have to mangle an English word into it's Japanese prounounciation so that I can be understood (anyone fancy a biru?). But rather than get upset, you just have to accept that that's just the way the world is. So amarillo is fine by me and basically it is just a case of majority rules. If more people say torteeya than tortilla, then torteeya it is -- ultimately dictionaries reflect the most common popular usage in the borrower language, not the pronounciation in the original. Personally I prefer the yalapeenos I have with my tortillas to be not too hot. The language nazis who insist you follow the pronounciation of the original language are just having a bit of a ponce I'm afraid. So, just don't forget, Japan's national drink is sak-eh, not sak-ee :p

Back