I have acquired a keg and want to safely depressurise it.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DallasG

Reaction score
I acquired a keg, not too sure on its size, maybe 50L, I have pictures it that helps, but I guess that's besides the point, It has a valve and so I'm assuming it has pressure and I don't want to let it sit like that, I don't have a valve tool(I forget it's name) and as I'm not sure what I'm doing with it just yet I don't feel like investing $100 in a tool I may only use once, or what kind to actually buy, I have asked 2 local brewery businesses and thus far no one has got back to me, any ideas how I could remove the valve and depressurise the keg that doesn't involve too much danger and is reasonably cheap. Any info on the kind of valve it is I guess could help too. Thanks in advance.

1000002836.jpg

1000002837.jpg

1000002838.jpg

I'm on mobile but where are you located? I've got the tool to remove this spear type if your local I may be able to help

Wouldn't worry about it being under pressure while stored tho

I'm on mobile but where are you located? I've got the tool to remove this spear type if your local I may be able to help

Wouldn't worry about it being under pressure while stored tho
Thanks for the offer Clickeral, Sunshine Coast QLD, that's where I'm at. Probably a super long shot you're anywhere near me though. I wasn't sure about storing it pressurised, but I guess I'd just feel better if it was not under pressure.

Unless its got beer in it its unlikely to be under pressure.
It’s actually highly likely to still be pressurised.

This keg has most likely had beer in it, 99% empty with a bit of dregs floating around and full of CO2.

Dangerous to open without being very cautious eg using a coupler to depressurise and the correct tool to open it up.

Latest posts

Back