Invert Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lyles also states on the can "partially invert syrup"

Gidday TL, The production of invertase does occur very early on and is the reason that many professional brewers add any sugar type adjuncts after the yeast has kicked off and usually about 24 hours into the ferment. This technique is also used where a brewery is doing "back to back" brews into the same fermenter. The yeast at this point (24hrs on) has come close to finishing its growth phase and is better positioned to tackle the sugars.

Wes

Thanks Wes - I didn't make the connect at the time but it makes perfectly good sense that the yeast will get stuck in, once the adaption / growth phase has largely concluded. In the homebrew context, I suppose it's not a major problem whether the sugar adjuncts are added before pitching or one day later...

Cheers,
Rowan

Now that would be fun to put into a polarimeter.

Beer and science. I feel all warm and fuzzy now :p :huh:

Do you have a polarimeter at work?
I've got some golden syrup in the fridge.

OK, now I've caught up with the ramblings on this thread ;)
So... whether our sucrose is partially inverted when we buy it, and maybe more inverted by the acidic/hot environment in the boil or ultimately inverted by the yeasties, and in what proportions and can we measure it and if not then who cares -

are we really trying to figure out if Candi sugar is a ripoff? :D

Back