Isb Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect Stu, even a ISB BBQ day where we line 'em up and taste them.

Sounds like a plan Mike, whichever one of has the time, should chuck up a thread on it to garner interest for our next meet.... Like you suggested before even an Ocktoberfest theme would be pretty gnarly.

Hi guys,

Didn't even realise this thread was here prior to Sat!!!!

Anyways thanks y'all for coming over with high kudos to Stu, Ben, Phil and Mike for the large majority of the work and thanks to all who brang food and those who left some beers. I've picked up some glassware (an Old mug I'm sure is yours DC and your onion container, give us a yell if you're in a hurry to have 'em back).

I thank the lord almighty for not turning on Sundays weather on Sat. That would've been a challenge!!!! (we ended up going out most of Sunday and came home to 2 or 3 of the banana trees down the back flat out on the lawn!!!!).

Temp of the wheat was down to 22 odd deg. latish Sat. night so I pitched then and kraus was well up on Sunday arvo (bloody fermenter isn't sealing properly though, stuff it!!!), probably not as high as yours Stu. but there's plenty of activity there. Went back in the fridge Sunday night though as was starting to get too hot so it'll stay there now with the temp set to around 20 deg.

Was wondering though about aeration???? I splashed in a bit with the water top up but was wondering if that'd be enough????

Would be more than happy to swap when the time comes.

Cheers all

Gav.

Glad yours is going well, Gav. I wouldn't worry too much about the aeration. Since you pitched a good amount of yeast, you should have no problems. Too late to aerate now in any case, but with good activity in that time you'll be fine.

Thanks to you and your family for your great hospitality. :super:

Nice one Gav, If your yeast has fired up then you probably aerated enough, but in general shake the living @#$5 out of it before pitching yeast.

What we need to work out is your keg gassing situation, PM me how you carbonated that first keg of yours and at what pressure you are trying to dispense at

Many Thanks for the hospitality.

I'd be in for a swap /brewday comparison, however I have to work out when I'll be able to ferment it. I put a lager in the fridge yesterday & hope to fill the remaining space with an octoberfest tomorrow (once the starter grows up), then I've got a bock to put on top of the octoberfest yeastcake. So my temp controlled environment will be locked onto 10 degrees for a few weeks. this also means that my fermenters are tied up as well.

Maybe If I bought another 2 fermenters, i could rack into 1 & use the other for the heffe with an ale yeast. As long as these temps stay in the low 20's, do you reckon I could get away with fermenting in the bathroom (it keeps a pretty constant temp)? If so, which yeast? Stu's american heffe, Gav's german heffe, US56 or try a belgian ale blend for something really different. If we're going to do a comparison, I might go the belgian to try something different & as I have an ESB belgian raspberry ale which can go on the yeastcake. What do you guys reckon?

Geez I just realised I need more bottles.....

now for cheap fermenters.....

bottles are always a problem crozdog , at least the amount of empty's i always seem to be lackin anyway...

i too am unsure of when i will be fermenting this as i have very few bottles to put it in once its done , although i am workin on that situation , wont leave it too long but it wont be in the comin week or two thats for sure

on the subject of cheap fermenters too , Big W @ Rockdale Plaza have coopers brewing kits for $67 at the moment , i know you all grainers wont be too interested in the gear that goes with it but i thought d put it here anyway...

Guys I have a little dilemna........

I am heading away with the kids camping up in Myall Lakes during the school hols. We'll be leaving probably next Wed. and will be away a week.

Any suggestions on what to do with the wheat.

Got three choices I think, leave it but that would mean probably around 17 or 18 days in the primary by the time we get back........ rack it, it'll be coming off the primary at around 9 days, then either leave at ferment temps or maybe pull it down to 10 deg or something like that.

Any thoughts and BTW What should the FG be???

Ta

Gav.

Both would be fine, Gav. Two or three weeks in primary is absolutely no problem, and racking it at day nine would be fine too. But since it's a wheat beer, you're looking for cloudy beer so there's really no point in racking it or cold conditioning it either. Leave it till you come back. Less risk of contamination, and easier too. :D

I'd say FG would be something around the 1008-1010 mark if you diluted it down to about 1045 to start with. Have you taken a gravity reading yet?

+1 vote for leaving it in primary Gavin - as long as the temp doesn't go too high it will be fine and you'll have a brew ready for bottling at the end of your trip.

My hopburst is tasting really good, already down to 1030 :beerbang: Nice work with the recipes and the brewing guys. Smells like Sierra Nevada and tastes very rich and malty :chug: I almost feel sorry for you Wheat guys but next you'll be telling me that one tastes really good ( was it the decoction? :ph34r: )

Just checked the gravity ;) of the wheat and mine's down to 1016 after a rather over-vigorous fermentation. Tastes nice to me. (Just the beer for Batz.)

Don't worry, I have the Rye IPA to keep my lupulin levels up. :chug: (Just the beer for PP.)

I left a Belgian Wit in the primary for about 3 weeks not long ago. It hadn't finished attenuating - the SG was about 1018 (from OG of 1042). A week later I returned from holiday to find little had changed so I raised the temp from 18C to 25C and it had a second round of fermentation to bring it to approx 1008. Strong on the the banana phenolics because of the higher temp. I think I should have raised the temp to 21C instead to keep it a bit less like a banana paddlepop. Anyway Gav, I think you should have no probs with leaving it in the primary fermenter, as long as the temp is not too high that fermentation finishes really quickly and the dead yeast begins break down.

The Wit has been in the bottle for 5 weeks and has improved a heap since initial tasting at week one.

Looking forward to making the next meet guys.

Thanks guys.

OK. It'll stay in till we get back. It's been sitting on 20 deg since pitching, fermentation pretty even I'd say so far so it should be right. Getting plenty of banana with the WLP300 but not too strong though. All good so far.

Cheers,

Gav.

Hi All ISB members,

thanks for this great afternoon. Good to see all the people enjoying themselves and proudly presenting their brews. Really informative and fun.

Thanks also to Gav's wife to keep company to Melanie, she didn't feel lonely at all :) The food, and all, really great.

Looking forward to the next brew day with hopefully a longer list of yeasts for people to swap.

Regards,
Laurent

Can we get some admin type to change laurent to yeast doctor as his screen name , he is gettin right into it now it seems... great stuff !!

Can we get some admin type to change laurent to yeast doctor as his screen name , he is gettin right into it now it seems... great stuff !!

Actually, I'm just keeping a list of What's Where. My fridge is too small to keep all the samples. I'll send a reminder to everybody in a few weeks for an update of the list.

Thanks all.

I've driven past the Concordia Club in Tempe (just across from the station on the old Tempe Bowling Club site), about a thousand times but have never ventured in but with the last day of Oktoberfest on yesterday, took the family in for a looksee.

It's pretty basic but we had a great few hours in there, good range of German beers if we want to do a German themed meet up at one stage.

I tried a Schoffenhofer hefe, which is the main reason for this post given we expect to be drinking the same within a month. First thing to notice was a MASSIVE level of carbonation, gas was literally exploding out of the beer. Not sure if this is true to the style or that the bottle had been hanging around a little longer than is the norm and had thus possibly overfermented in the bottle but it took a good 10 minutes to settle down. After that I got a lovely light wheat beer, it didn't have the strong banana and clove that I'd been warned about. Looking forward to seeing if ours is similar.

Gav.

edit, got off my bum and did some research, looks like that level of carbonation is consistent with the style but and the Schoff uses a lager yeast for bottle conditioning which I guess would explain why it doesn't exhibit strong heffe characteristics.

Latest posts

Back