Jerry cans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Hey all, since switching to BIAB all grain and the temp control fridge (best investments of my life) I have been stuck with fermenting one brew at a time. And I have seen a few other brewers with the same problem.
I think my temp control fridge would easily hold two 25l jerry cans. I am wondering if a 25l can leaves enough headspace for a 22l brew?

I understand this would depend on what yeasts I am using aswell.
Just hoping someone out there is using this method.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Beamer

I ferment 20L at a time in 20L jerries, which hold closer to 22L when full. Lid on, backed off a few notches. I get some restrained krausen leakage sometimes, never bothered me.

Yup 25L is fine. One of my fermenters is the round 25L bunnings drum and fits a 20L (holds more like 22L) no-chill cube fine

If you can get some pure Sodium Percarbonate, the active ingredient in Napisan you'll have no problem cleaning them up between brews.

Excuse the fuzzy picture, but yes fermenting in Jerry Cans makes the most of the available space in the fermenting fridge.

gallery_34395_1373_544239.jpg

I now ferment in converted cornelius kegs, but can only fit three brews in the fridge at a time.

gallery_34395_1373_355833.jpg

I used to use jerry cans too. To clean them I threw in some Sodium Perc, filled them up and let them soak for 24 hours. When they were rinsed out they were spotless.

Thanks all for the great advice, I did jusy remeasure when I got home and did it the practical way and put too full 20 litre cubes side by side easily and the hbs says the 25 litre cubes are some width.

So ill go ahead with that, now just curious about pitching yeast in two beers. Do most people make a two litre starter and split it??

sorry its a little OT

Thanks again
Beamer

Yeast amount is brew dependent.
Don't skimp - pitching adequate healthy yeast is as important as good temperature control.

Bribie G said:
If you can get some pure Sodium Percarbonate, the active ingredient in Napisan you'll have no problem cleaning them up between brews.
Is pink stain remover just as good for this as sodium perc?

manticle said:
Search 'fermenting directly in the no chill cube'
Gday Manticle,

I searched and read the article you mentioned, I was wondering that if I siphoned from my 20L no chill cube to a 25L cube with 4 litres head space, could I ferment in this cube with just a loosened cap rather than an airlock drilled into the lid??

Thanks,
Beamer

Beamer said:
Thanks all for the great advice, I did jusy remeasure when I got home and did it the practical way and put too full 20 litre cubes side by side easily and the hbs says the 25 litre cubes are some width.
So ill go ahead with that, now just curious about pitching yeast in two beers. Do most people make a two litre starter and split it??
sorry its a little OT
Thanks again
Beamer

I used this method for fermenting two lagers with one 2L yeast starter and produced great results. It's a method for lagers called drauflassening. Basically you make a starter for your batch and pitch. Then after 24 hours you keep the yeast in the growth state by mixing in your second batch. You will need 3 vessels or jerrys to ensure the mix is even. Link added for further reading.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drauflassen

Beamer said:
Gday Manticle,

I searched and read the article you mentioned, I was wondering that if I siphoned from my 20L no chill cube to a 25L cube with 4 litres head space, could I ferment in this cube with just a loosened cap rather than an airlock drilled into the lid??

Thanks,
Beamer
Could just save your cap and put on some cling film and a rubber band, the excess co2 will escape through the sides.

Beamer said:
Gday Manticle,

Thanks,
Beamer
Of course. 20L, 25 L, makes no difference. I use 20L exclusively with this method. Glad works too - I find the cap loosening absurdly simple and efficient.

Latest posts

Back