Melbourne Visit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
I'm heading over to Melbs shortly. It's been so long I can't remember who runs the pub there now ;) (old bushy joke)

Any must see/ must eat/ must drink venues?

I want to check out the Art Gallery and Museum.

My gf will be with me so titty bars and the like will have to wait until next time.

Brewpubs with awesome beer and great meals?

Mountain Goat Brewery on a friday night, think its only once a month though.

Transport Hotel - Fed square - wicked (but $$$) meals and a major major beer list to boot.

Cookie on swanston st has loads of beer, never eaten there though.

Go to the main art gallery - then head to Transport (afternoon or weeknights only, fri/sat night the joint sucks) If you see a dark skinned woman with braided hair, then she is the beer Guru of the joint - have a chat to her if you can. If you think you know a lot about beer, she will prove to you that there is still a lot to learn. In fact, once you weed out the casuals and nuffers, there are at least three or four of the senior staff who are serious beer people. After a couple, head over to the other side of Federation square to the Ian Potter center for Australian art - right near that in Fed square is Beer Delux a newer beer bar/restaraunt.

After a couple, wander down swanston street to -

Cookie - once again, in the afternoon its great, at night too damn busy. A trick though.... eat there, IMHO the best Thai food in Melbourne, not the usual stuff, done with real flair and fantastic ingredients. The restaurant is separated from the maddening crowd, you will get a seat and a nice waiter will bring you your overpriced beer from the extensive list. Book a couple of days ahead or be prepared to get there either early (6:30ish) or late (post 9:00pm) for a sneaky no booking table. Also, if you happen to risk the place when its packed to the gills on fri-sat night; you can shifty your way into a table in the restaurant section after about 9-9:30 once it starts to empty out. You get a seat, aren't required to eat and might well still get table service.

For a more quirky drinking/eating experience, go upstairs in the same building as Cookie to the Toff in Town. French restaurant with a kinda cool train carriage style lay out. Serve lighter food for lunch, canapes etc early evening and dinner stuff later on, able to eat till 2:00am. Seriously girlfriend impressing territory!! But, last time I went there, you couldn't book. So if you want a booth or table you need to get there early and hunt one out. Give em a call though, it might have changed. They are sort of connected to Cookie, so there are at least a few good beers on tap, a great beer list and a frigging mind bleedingly huge winelist. The Age had a good review in the Epicure section, should be able to google it.

Upstairs in the same building again for the Rooftop bar - less impressive beer selection.. but there is a cinema. Check out Rooftop Cinema on Google... if cinema is not operating, though it should be over summer, the bar is pretty damn cool in and of itself and there will be Coopers and Creatures on tap (or there was last time I was there)

Nearest good beer joint to the museum is probably the Lambsgo bar in Collingwood (15min walk) - 3 Ravens bronze on handpump, usually something else decent on tap, and about 100 different great beers in the fridge. Limited "snacky" menu. The place itself is part of the attraction.. its set-up in an old terrace house and it kind of feels like you're back in your student days and at your mates place having a beer or two. On I think Friday and Sat nights the dark haired barmaid (forgotten her name, bad Thirsty!!) knows her beer and used to work at Buckleys micro brewery - quit because they didn't know squat about brewing!! Which if you have ever had a Buckleys beer, you would know proves she really does know her beer.

Quite near there is of course Brunswick st for great cafe culture and cool bars etc. Bimbo deluxe has good pizza and usually a decent beer or two.

As Fents said... The mountain goat brewery is a good option of Friday nights (every friday) and also on Wednesday nights. Fridays are busy, Wednesdays less so. But the place is big so its pretty good, and you get to ogle the brewery while you drink. Goat beers on tap and they sort of do snacks and average pizzas. BUT - - over the road from the Goat is the Royston hotel. A pub that concentrates on good beer. Imports in the fridge and Aussie beer on tap. There is CD and Stella to keep the rubes happy, but then there will also be 4 or 5 good micros on tap as well. Last time I was there they had Holbrook ESB on handpump. The place is also a great gastro pub. Really good food on the bar menu and excellent more up-market food in the dining room. Very reasonably priced and top notch quality.

There are more - but I'll let other people chip in as well. If you choose Goat one night.. don't be afraid to let us know. Just up the road from me and it would only be hospitable to buy an interstate AHBer a beer. In fact, same holds true for any of the venues I mentioned.

Have fun

Thirsty

awesome, thanks guys!

also, I've just had a look on the net and one of the places we're staying at is "35 kms from Melbourne's domestic and international airports"...
Faaark! That's going to be a killer in a cab! Is there a tube train or something from the Airport to Werribee Park?

tangent, everything good in Melbourne is 35km from the airport. the airport is out the back of shitsville somewhere, about a $40 cab ride to the city. no offence to those near the airport of course.

Mrs Parma's on Little Bourke St is good. Great parmas and a good selection of Vic micros.

http://www.mrsparmas.com.au/

I think a summary of quality brewing-related places by state (or city) would be a good addition to the wiki, alongside the "list of micros by state", if anyone feels like it.

awesome, thanks guys!

also, I've just had a look on the net and one of the places we're staying at is "35 kms from Melbourne's domestic and international airports"...
Faaark! That's going to be a killer in a cab! Is there a tube train or something from the Airport to Werribee Park?

It'll be mostly on the freeway... so you'll get to watch the meter tick over like the seconds on a stopwatch... that ones gonna hurt. But at least you wont be paying for a lot of sitting still in traffic (hopefully)

The only PT from the airport is the "skybus" and if there are two of you, might as well catch a cab its not cheap. You could catch a train out from the city to werribee, but then you'd probably have to get a cab at the end anyway.

Unfortunately, you have chosen a place that is just slightly further out into BF nowhere than the airport itself... but in a different direction. I don't believe there is anything that connects the two in even vaguely a direct fashion... sorry

They do have a nice zoo in werribee. I'm not sure if that helps or not ;)

if u do the intarweb prebook bus trip its $24 for return for the skybus shuttle from melb airport. then can get a tram out to goats / royston from cbd ...

cheers

your coming to melb and staying in werribee? hahaha oh dear, hope your bringing your breathing aparartis (sp?)....

yeah, only for one night. I've heard the goss on the location but the venue looks pretty swish Mansion Hotel

Anyone stayed there?

Tangent, just got back from a week in Melbourne.

If you can get to The Royston then do it! Has a similar feel and style as the Wheatie, not pretentious at all.
Good food and outstanding beer selections on tap (Hargreaves Hill Pale, Jamiesons "The Beast", Barons Black Wattle Ale, Bridge Rd Aussie Ale, Mountain Goat Hightail etc.) Great goat curry too :icon_drool2:

Some good bottlo's around too if you want something out of the ordinary.

C&B
TDA

Manchester Lance Or Bennets Lane for Jazz and blues (sometimes other music). avg beer list (great martinis), good food, great desert and great music and atmospehere

For something differant you coud visit the Trader Bar

otherwise as stated above, cookie, Transport, The Goat, Mrs Parmas (all microbrews), JS Brewhouse etc etc. Have alook round dockland precinct is quite nice at night. resturants etc can be a bit pricey around there though.

Shamiana isnt exactly boobs and food. the waitresses are clothed (just in lingerie :D ). great place. :icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back