Mixing LDME with steeped grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axematt

Reaction score
Gday all.

Couldn't think of a header for this so that was the best I could come up with. I'm looking at making a K&K amber ale and was wondering if I use LDME (1kg) with 200g of steeped cara or crystal. would that be enough to get the color/taste for this type of beer or should I get the 1.5kg liquid amber malt extract in a can. I have the LDME and cara on hand and was hoping that would do the job. I'm very new to this so apologise if it's a dumb ass question.

Cheers

The question is really Carra-What.
If it was CaraPillis, no not enough colour, If you had CaraAroma, it could be getting on toward being too dark, I can think of about a dozen readily available malts called Cara-Something.
Other option is to just do it, see what you get, at worst its a bit darker than you expect, or too little to notice. Lets face it 200g is a pretty small addition of a lot of malts.
Just do the steep, separate the malt and water then boil the water to make sure its sterile (can be lots of bugs on malt). Use the boiling water to dissolve your goo.
Mark

Cheers mate,

yeah , forgot to mention caramunich is what i have. I assume the can of goo will be darker anyway as its a Thomas Cooper Amber can and I'm just fancying it up a bit.

Latest posts

Back