New to Kegging - Jockey Box + 30L keg question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years now and a mate has asked to provide a bunch of beer for his upcoming 40th. I would prefer not to bottle 120L of beer for the event so am considering getting a keg setup for events like this.

I've been thinking of the following:
30L kegs with a or d type spears (fits the batch size I make nicely)
2 x Tap Jockey Box with 15m coils - DIY kit
Fill the Esky with ice and go.

I am completely new to kegging so don't know if this is an advisable setup so wondering if anyone has experience pulling something like this together? I don't really want a kegerator in the house, but when making beer for events it would be much easier to make it and keg it than bottle. I'm not sure if the 30L kegs make sense with a homebrew setup like this, but would be better than 19L kegs, where I'd have 10L leftover from each batch to bottle anyway.

So, would this work, am I being crazy, if it's crazy is there anything else that could work?

It will work but i think a couple of 19l cornies will be easier to handle and maneuver , i use a corny with a neoprene jacket which keeps it cold for hours.

Cold plates are alot better then coils for Jocky boxes.
Ah interesting, I did a bit of reading and the cold plate approach was recommended for smaller events with less frequent pours, with coils better for heavier demand. That led me to look at a coil system as there will be 80 people there so figured it might be too frequently used for a plate.

If you also reduce the temp of the beer in kegs, before you send it thru the Jockey box this will help maintain even temps. If you are wanting to cool a large volume constantly and quickly.
Stand kegs in water with a towel can help, or place kegs in a bin with water and ice.

Latest posts

Back