No Chill Q?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hi all. I brewed a bitter this morning, just an easy GP + crystal etc, and tried a new approach with hopping that i thought was worth a go. I added a 25g addition of sty golding (4.3AA) at 60m, and then added 65g at 2min. I use a hop sock etc. I cubed and set aside. It just dawned on me what i have been reading on no chilling and hops etc, so im pondering now, will that big late 2min aroma addition send it over bitter?

I made a APA using the 10min IPA idea, (ie, 300g hops @ 6 mins), and it turned out fantastic, perfect bitterness and aroma was amazing, so i figured i would try something similiar with the bitter today.

Ideas/hints anyone? cheers.

It will have made it more bitter than it would have been haf you chilled it. That i am 100% sure of. Aside from that, you are the only one who will be ale to tell when you taste the beer - if it is over bitter, then you hae a pretty good first guess as to why. Mostly it will depend on what % AA those hops were. Plug the amou t of hops into promash/beersmith as say a 10-15 min addition instead of the 2 min addition they actually were and see how much diffence it makes inthe fianl estimated IBU level, that'll give you perhaps an idea of what to expect.

It will have made it more bitter than it would have been haf you chilled it. That i am 100% sure of. Aside from that, you are the only one who will be ale to tell when you taste the beer - if it is over bitter, then you hae a pretty good first guess as to why. Mostly it will depend on what % AA those hops were. Plug the amou t of hops into promash/beersmith as say a 10-15 min addition instead of the 2 min addition they actually were and see how much diffence it makes inthe fianl estimated IBU level, that'll give you perhaps an idea of what to expect.

Hmmm turns out it will be about 22-26IBU then approx. Thats a relief. Thanks.

i have a seperate kettle i use for no chill. It has a flase bottom to remove the hops.

If im using a recipe with lots of late hops, i calc them in as a 10 min addition and add them at flame out.

I then stir it around for 5 min to get the hops in there and then let it settle out for 5 min and drain to the cube, leaving the hops and any extra bitterenss they will add...... behind in the kettle.

easy :)

By the way....... 22 ibu isnt a very bitter bitter :(

Hmmm turns out it will be about 22-26IBU then approx. Thats a relief. Thanks.

Im starting to think maybe the key is to chill the wort to say 60/70deg then cube it, so as to stop extra bittering from happening with big late additions? Or maybe cube hopping is better at flame out.

i have a seperate kettle i use for no chill. It has a flase bottom to remove the hops.

If im using a recipe with lots of late hops, i calc them in as a 10 min addition and add them at flame out.

I then stir it around for 5 min to get the hops in there and then let it settle out for 5 min and drain to the cube, leaving the hops and any extra bitterenss they will add...... behind in the kettle.

easy :)

By the way....... 22 ibu isnt a very bitter bitter :(

I prefer my bitters in the 20-30IBU range, so its all good :icon_cheers:
Im just doing a bit of a trial with a couple of bitters, all sty goldings and all Bramling x. Fairly similiar brews, and same hopping schedule.
I think tommorrow i will chill the wort for 15 mins and then cube it, just for shits n giggles.

Im starting to think maybe the key is to chill the wort to say 60/70deg then cube it, so as to stop extra bittering from happening with big late additions? Or maybe cube hopping is better at flame out.

It's considered best practice to drain into the cube at near boiling as a safe guard against any nasties that may still be in there. If you want then it could be put into an ice bath to get it below 60 degC quicker.

Bloody ell , all of my apa's are 30+ ibu and I dont allow anything in beersmith for late hopping for the no chill . Is this too bitter?

There are a number of other interesting threads discussing no chill and bitterness too, this one discusses some good methods used by some experienced brewers.

You can - but you dont need to. Just do a couple and see if the bitterness is a problem for you. If it isn't, then there is nothing that needs doing. If it is - then you can just tweak your bittering addition to compensate.

I find that late hops (pellets not flowers) wheher you leave them in or strain them out add extra bitterness if you no chill. The resins are dissolved in the liquid, so straining out the green matter makes little to bugger all difference, the only thing that matters is how long the cube remains hot, and how "bitter" the hops were.

In my beers - if i add a flame out hop, it works out that it give me about the same bitterness i would have gotten if i had added the hops at around the 15-20 min mark, then rapidly chilled the wort. So obviously, if the hops were 4.5% goldings thats not a lot of extra bitterness... But if they were 15% galaxy it is. All you need to do is plug your hop additions into your brewing software as per normal, then change the late additions as though they wer 15 mins earlier - then tweak your bittering addition down till the total IBU level is the same as it was before.

But thats my system - you need to work out how it works in your system. There will be an adjustment thats right for you, you just need to find out what it is. Maybe you dont need to adjust at all.

Or you can simply chill the beer instead - if you heave a full cube in the pool, its not fast no chilling, its just chilling. The beer will work out the same as if you had chilled, because you did - but you also wont be able to store it long term, exactly as if you had chilled - which you did. And all the issues with extra bitterness cease to be an issue.

Hopping is a very personal thing, even hopping is rapidly cooled systems isn't something that there are hard and fast rules for. Lots of different formulas for calculating bitterness are used, none of them come out with the same number of IBUs for the same hop additions. You just have to find a formula that works for you. If you no-chill, naturally its going to be different than the formula for someone who does chill - why on earth would it be the same? Trial and error and a few hints about where to look for places to make some changes are all you really have. Now its up to you.

Brilliant "new" method introduced by argon (Bris) that a few of us are experimenting with:

Do a brew but just with the bittering addition
Cube
Cool overnight then bang into a fridge and bring the whole thing down to around 8 degrees
Remove 2 or 3 litres into a stockpot, bring to boil and do the 10 min or flameout or whatever you like additions.
Pour the hot and the cold wort into the FV
Pitch immediately

There are good mixing calculators on the web for mixing x litres at a degrees with y litres at b degrees........
Results mimic rapid chilled worts (plate, coil etc)

If you can't manage the whole cube in a fridge, alternatively do the stockpot boil and then rapidly chill in ice bath in laundry sink etc.

Latest posts

Back