RecipeDB - Czech Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Reaction score

Czech Pilsner

Pilsner - Bohemian Pilsner
All Grain
* * * * * 11 Votes

Brewer's Notes

90 minute boil, pitched yeast at 23C, set fridge for 12C, walked away for 4 weeks. No diacetyl rest, or raising of temp from the set 12C.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
10 kg Weyermann Pilsner

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
90 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 20mins)
25 g Southern Cross (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

5000 ml Wyeast Labs 2278 - Czech Pilsner Lager
50L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.048 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 28.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.68%
  • Colour 7 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 28 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

This is the discussion topic for the recipe: Czech Pilsner

Thought that was a great beer at the case swap! Almost thought about mugging the brewer concerned as he left with the keg that was at least half full ?? Great saaz aroma. Will be giving this one a bash.

Didn't see Boston leave...walked into the bar, noticed the keg was gone and sighed. :(

Great beer that shows that simplicity is sometimes the key. For someone who likes malt driven ales, I was impressed at just how much malt flavour came through with just the pils.

Just wanted to let everyone know, I tried this as my first Allgrain brew.
Only change was that I used White Labs Czech Budjovich WLP802 yeast, because I have it.

Amazingly, (it was my first try after all) this brew tastes teriffic.
I chill conditioned for 2 weeks before bottling and tried it today only 4 weeks in bottle
so I expect it to get better still.

Guess I'm going to have to invest in some decent gear to do allgrain from now on
instead of the backyard slapped together and borrowed stuff I used for this one.

Thanks Boston for the simple but delicious recipe..

What was your mash schedule, i.e temps, rests etc?

Glad you liked it Boddington, quite an easy recipe. No turning back for you know.

Warra, I mashed at 68-69C, for 60min, no rests. Mash out at 75C.

I'm keen to do this as my first All Grain in a month or so, looks like an easy brew to throw together.

One question.... Having never used flowers, how would I go about converting the amount of flowers into an amount of pellets? Would it just be easier to use the flowers?

I'm keen to do this as my first All Grain in a month or so, looks like an easy brew to throw together.
One question.... Having never used flowers, how would I go about converting the amount of flowers into an amount of pellets? Would it just be easier to use the flowers?
As it is your first AG don't stress over a conversion.
This thread would indicate reducing the amount of pellets by 10% compared to whole hops though.

Going on memory, if the AA% is the same allow 15% more weight for flowers to equal same as pellets.

Should be the same whether flowers or pellets of same AA

I just finnished up brewing this one and its in the cube now!

I did a half batch (equipment limits) but only came up with around 18L. So should I add water at fermentation to get this to target gravity (1.048) if its high?

Also, I didn't know how to add the Saaz, so i just chucked the pellets in (Southern Cross flowers were in a hop bag). This has resulted in a fairly greenish wort. Is this normal?

Thanks for the great recipe Boston.

I just finnished up brewing this one and its in the cube now!

I did a half batch (equipment limits) but only came up with around 18L. So should I add water at fermentation to get this to target gravity (1.048) if its high?

Also, I didn't know how to add the Saaz, so i just chucked the pellets in (Southern Cross flowers were in a hop bag). This has resulted in a fairly greenish wort. Is this normal?

Thanks for the great recipe Boston.
Before adding any water, check what the SG is first. You probably don't want it any higher than 1.050, the alcohol level will start to detract from the easy drinking ability.

When you finished the boil did you whirlpool and allow the wort to settle? Sounds like you still have some of the hop pellets in the wort.
This will drop out in the cube as it chills, It is up to you on how you handle the sediment, but I would aim to pour the clear wort off the top and leave the sediment in the cube.

I whirlpooled and let it sit for about 5 mins. On draining into the cube i left about 2-3L worth of crap in the kettle. This was mostly the hops. I think it might be boil loss, it was a pretty fast boil. I need a lower pressure reg for my mongolian I think, it was turning the stainless glowing red while getting it up to boil...

I'm looking at doing a SMASH pilsner for the christmas swap and this looks the goods (although I'll have to replace the bittering hops with loads of saaz to make it truly smash). I'd also like to take advantage of the colder weather.

I've only just brewed my first AG and it was only single infusion. Do I need to acid rest this? Not that up with decoction mashing or how it would go on my system but I'll work it out.

Cheers.

Manticle...no decoctions or rests (other than the main sach rest) involved...was a simple single infusion. (see post#6 ;) )

Im about to put this one on...

Is there any other hop I could use for bittering in place of Southern Cross? Im finding it hard to justify buying a whole packet for ~12.5g of usage.

I have this in stock;

Cascade, Tettnanger, Hallertauer, Perle, Amarillo, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings, EGK, Sterling & POR...

Im about to put this one on...

Is there any other hop I could use for bittering in place of Southern Cross? Im finding it hard to justify buying a whole packet for ~12.5g of usage.

I have this in stock;

Cascade, Tettnanger, Hallertauer, Perle, Amarillo, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings, EGK, Sterling & POR...

Tett, Hall or Perle.....if it was me

Rook

Sterling "Perceived to be similar to Saaz" might be the go, but double the quantity as they have about half the AA as Southern Cross. Would you have enough?

You're correct, my Sterling has 5.9%AA

I currently have 90g and another recipe that calls for 72g so that may just be perfect!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back