Sourdough, Sauerkraut, Etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kook

Reaction score
Anyone played around with making their own sourdough bread, sauerkraut or other naturally fermented foods?

I've got a sourdough starter doing at the moment which I started on Sunday night. Just some unbleached flour and pineapple juice to being with, then stepped up with flour/filtered water every evening.

I had it going in a plastic container until tonight, where I found hte lid popped off and sitting beside it! Transferred to a pressure resistant glass jar now.

Will try making my first sourdough on the weekend with a 24hr proofing. I'll make sure I take some pics to post.

Anyone have any advice? Tried any similar projects?

I've been interested in trying this out myself after getting hooked on good sourdough whist visiting the US a few years ago. Never been able to fine any here that was even close.

Sounds like you are on the right track with the starter though I'm not sure whether it will be sour enough just yet. From what I've heard it takes quite a few generations to get tha t really tart taste to it. Have a listen to Basic Brewing Radio Sourdough episode for some more info. There may be some interesting info in there for you.

Keep us informed as to how it all works out and plenty of pics as well !

gary

I've done a couple of batches of Sauerkraut and its pretty much turned out to be the best kraut I've ever had. Got an organic cabbage in the fridge now waiting for my next batch.

Here's a recipe and instruction. Its absolutely dead easy. Just pay attention to sanitation and 02 exclusion. Found it on the web somewhere, apologies to the author for not being able to give credit.

View attachment Sourkraut_recipe.pdf

I just scoop it straight out of the crock, Less sour and more crunchy when its young and visa versa. Whack it in the fridge when you think its sour enough. I add some mustard and fennel seeds and a couple of bay leaves.

TB

I had a sourdough habit and quite a nice sourdough starter going, many years ago in Newcastle. It does take a few generations to really get the flavours going, worth it though - I also found that the flavours varied quite a bit depending on time of year.

Grant

mmmmm... sourdough. Before the kids I used to make all our bread. I had a beautiful sourdough starter going and I'd make 3 or 4 loaves a week. 24 hour rising. Beautiful sour flavour. Kinda ran out of time after the kids came along and now just make the occasional pizza base using packet yeast *sigh*.

I think I'll have to get another starter going. the kids are old enough to help now...

Cheers
Dave

Yeah to sourdough bread - I had a starter just left outside for a few hours, started out a bit bready but as it got older and left for longer it got better. :icon_drool2:

Used to crank a loaf of bread out every couple of days but it goes stale quickly.

Mmmm I've got a culture going now. I just made sourdough pizza bases for dinner. Mouth orgasm.

I've been interested in trying this out myself after getting hooked on good sourdough whist visiting the US a few years ago. Never been able to fine any here that was even close.
Have you tried anything from The New Norcia bakery in Mt Hawthorn? They do mostly sourdough's in many, many incarnations. Also the Mad Monk sourdough's were tasting great last time I ate there. For those in Victoria, Baker in St Kilda do some of the best bread I've ever eaten.

I've had a few sourdough stint's, though my culture tended to get too wild, or develop mould after a few weeks.

Where do people store their starters? Mine were usually on the kitchen window sill with glad wrap loosely covering, though I've been told once it's sour to keep it in the fridge. Any tips?

Cheers for the Sauerkraut guide Thirsty, sounds like something I'll be trying pretty soon!

Hey Anthony I'm going to use some of that Brett you gave me in pizza dough. D:

mmm..sourdough

sourdough_1.jpg

sourdough_2.jpg

sourdough_3.jpg

the force is strong here in vic park :eek:

Korean Kim Chi is better than Sauerkraut, it's fermented Chinese Cabbage with chili, garlic and ginger and other stuff, and it goes bloooooody ripper with any good beer.

Here's a basic recipe, not a great one: http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/appet...es/kimchee.html
Where it says 12 hours, make it 24 hours and where it say 3 days, make it 2 weeks.... Well that's how I like it.

I ( well, my mother in law gets it for me )get sourdough from the german food markets at the german club in berkeley. Every two weeks. They do a white sourdough, which is yummy, and also a darker sourdough with caraway seeds, absolutely friggin fantastic stuff. Worth it for sure. I did make it once, but didn't get too much flavour. Sounds like you need to get the culture pretty feral before using. Might try it again.

I used to be a baker proffesionally. (although the franchise chain I worked for never made "real" sour dough)
I've been missing the art of bread making quite a bit recently, and this thread has inspired me to make a starter out of my next brew using doc's method (gonna be a Wit, should go quite nicely with a wheat-based dough) Thankyou again AHB!

I make all our bread sourdough, with a starter I got going last year. I make bread most days so the starter doesn't go mouldy (though it can get some blue patches if I leave it for a few days :huh: ). Anyway, delicious stuff, especially in buns.

Has anybody made pizza with sourdough? And I've been thinking of using some of the starter in some wild beers. Wit might be good to sour actually, working the other way. Has anybody else tried this?

Where do people store their starters? Mine were usually on the kitchen window sill with glad wrap loosely covering, though I've been told once it's sour to keep it in the fridge. Any tips?

We keep ours in the fridge now that it's truly sour. It has the added benefit of slowing the yeast down so you don't have to feed it as often. We have one white and one rye and you're welcome to pop around and grab a scoop if you haven't already replaced yours.

For everyone in Perth, a lady by the name of Yoke Mardewi-Caddy runs excellent sourdough classes. She makes everything from pizza to panettone. She hopes to be releasing a book in the coming year, so keep an eye out for it. If you would like contact details for her courses, send me a pm.

For everyone in Perth, a lady by the name of Yoke Mardewi-Caddy runs excellent sourdough classes. She makes everything from pizza to panettone. She hopes to be releasing a book in the coming year, so keep an eye out for it. If you would like contact details for her courses, send me a pm.

In Sydney, Fuel bakery runs sourdough courses during good food week (October so missed it this year). I did it a couple of years ago and it was fantastic.

Cheers
Dave

Buggar as usual the book is $16 if you order it from the States but $30 here.

My next big book order from Amazon.com I'll toss it in with the rest.

Has anybody made pizza with sourdough? And I've been thinking of using some of the starter in some wild beers. Wit might be good to sour actually, working the other way. Has anybody else tried this?

I've made sourdough pizza, but only found it worked well on very simple pizza's... pesto/garlic/minimal tomato. I've also tried chick pea, rice and others with mixed results.

I used to make starters with various shades of beer, stout with rye flour is good.

Latest posts

Back