Sweetening Apple Cider With Lactose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I make apple cider using the OZ tops method

I would like to sweeten the cider with lactose , which would not ferment

How much lactose would I add per litre

I know , how long is a piece of string

but would like to have a starting point

I wonder what the equivalent amount of lactose to a teaspoon of sugar

Don't know much about the OZ tops method but when i make a normal 23l batch i use 250g Lactose and 750g sugar to make a medium sweet.
cheers

When making my cider I use 500g of lactose to 21 litres of Apple Juice.

Chicks dig it ;) hahah

Its not crazy sweet but more importantly it ensure its not a dry cider.

I would recommend ditching the oz tops to and buy some proper cider yeast. Could make a big difference. You can just sprinkle the yeast in the bottle if you want, done this in the past with pretty good results.

When making my cider I use 500g of lactose to 21 litres of Apple Juice.

Chicks dig it ;) hahah

Its not crazy sweet but more importantly it ensure its not a dry cider.

I would recommend ditching the oz tops to and buy some proper cider yeast. Could make a big difference. You can just sprinkle the yeast in the bottle if you want, done this in the past with pretty good results.

My wife's a chick and digs sweet cider.

Are we talking something like Strongbow (ish) sweet? Do you use a plain old US-05? Does the lactose make it come out hazy?

I havent found lactose makes it any more hazy - mind you I've never made a crystal clear cider (though I do have one thats adged nearly 18 months that I'm keen to see how clear it is soon)
I add 250grams to about 30L of cider using S04 and thats plenty sweet for me.

Looks like 250 grams per 23 litres is a good point to start

actually 250 grams is how much I add to stout to get a milk (lactose) stout

I use OZ tops because I can make small amounts

http://www.oztops.com.au/

I did a few calculations in a thread on AHB a while ago that i can't seem to find.

It used as part of the calculation a comparison between the relative sweetness of lactose to sucrose.

About 10 times less sweet from memory. So if you use 1 tsp of sugar in your tea/coffee you'd need 10 tsp to get the same sweetness using lactose.

How did you go with this? Did you work out a good amount of lactose into the oztops bottles that suits your tastes? I have just made one with 15grams per litre. It's just gone into the fridge now.

Thanks

Slightly different, but when making my ginger beer I use ~200g per 20L which gives it a nice sweetness but isnt sickly sweet.

I'd probably try about the same amount for apple cider as they both probably would work out to be about as dry/sweet as each other without the lactose.

Sponge

Hello, do you add the lactose at the start of the ferment or part way through? Thanknyou

Add it whenever you like. Some point in the boil is probably a good idea.
The yeast couldn't care less.

Hello, do you add the lactose at the start of the ferment or part way through? Thanknyou
At the end of the ferment before bottling. You want to take a sample and workout how much lactose to add. Then scale up the lactose for your full batch.

For cider I prefer to stabilise by cold crashing below 4c, adding potassium sorbate and potassium Meta bisuphate (camden tablets) and add fresh juice and/or a little honey back in.

If you don't kill the yeast any fermentable sugar you add will just add alcohol as it will be eaten by the yeast.

Latest posts

Back