Syphon Recirculating.. Possible?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocko

Oh Dear..
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently recirculate with a 3L jug and with a 100L tun, 20 odd kg off grain, it can take a while... a sore arm is usually had.

So I have been thinking is it possible to some how syphon it around with use of another vessel? Hmm.... I know, just buy a pump but atm it is out of financial reach.

If I had another vessel, lets call it the syphon tank, ran the tun tap into the bottom, got the level higher than the mash, started a syphon and managed to match the flow rates - would it work? I am far from a smart man and seek advice from you, more edjumacated brewers please!

Or would the 'tank' not fill higher than the mash tun level? - now I am typing I think this will be the problem... but I will risk my genius rep and post this anyway..

Then to empty the tank completely just lift it up....

Yes or No or please stop thinking Cocko and have another beer??

Thought in a pic:

Syphonrecirc.jpg

Yes or No or please stop thinking Cocko and have another beer??
Stop thinking, have another beer, its the weekend, enjoy, dont hurt your brain.

(Your idea will not work, a siphon works by having one body of fluid above the other so that it is drawn down by gravity, there is no way (without a pump or manually filing it with your jug) that you can have the 'lower' tap fill the 'siphon-tank to a level that is higher than the main mashtun, it just wont work).
IMHO buy one of the little solar-pumps for $30 and use that to recirculate.

Cocko, you made my day with that idea. It was like being in a dream, just before the act of waking up horribly crumbles your epiphany and you find yourself a slave to physics once again. Pfft, physics. Jefferson Airplane weren't into physics, and they were a plane.

I've heard a worse idea. A brewer who I won't name wanted to have a hose going from the tap to the top of his tun to recirculate. I don't have the best understanding of physics but that one had obvious flaws.

I assume smaller batches are out of the question. With the money you'd save on grain & hops you could buy a pump.

I've wondered about the practicality of attaching a recirc tank to a hoist or jack. Lower the tank below the mash tun to fill it and raise it above the mash tun to empty it.

I shall call this the 1.5 tier "Active Gravity" recirc system :rolleyes:

Anyone done this before?

Hello,
I currently masturbate with a 3L jug and a 100kg Hun. 20 odd minutes trying to get off without gain, it can take a while... a sore arm is usually had.

Just use the other arm for a bit, Cocko! :p

I want a pump too, mate.

Thread bookmarked, just so I can bring it back up next time Cocko is being a princess ;)

:lol:

Phew, it seems my rep as the forum genius has scraped through unscathed... I reckon if I put arrows on the hoses showing the wort which direction to flow I should be good.... Or, maybe a pump will be ordered. Hopefully a basic understanding of syphoning is needed to run one.

@ jyo - gold... my taint...

Latest posts

Back