The Sandpeoples Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blue label bock is mine, as is the red label pilsner. I'm glad you enjoyed it JasonY.

kook: yup, thats me. PostModern poached me from there after I spent a few months spamming the herculean homebrew thread.

I was having a beer with Trash Mash Al last night and decided to pull out a couple of beers from the Chrissy Case... JasonY's were the first two of the mark....
Both were very nice...

"Cloudy as Helles" - peering beyond the obvious haze reveals a well balanced, clean beer. the subtle maltiness offsets well against a well weighted bitterness from the noble hops. A smell and a sip reveal a heavy hand on the flavour/aroma additions pushing this beer a little beyond the style. But who cares about styles anyway... Overall a great lighter style lager with a beute complex flavour due to the late addition hops and a hint of fruit from the fermentation/yeast....

"APA" - at 5.7%ABV it was a big APA! Plenty of body but once again well balanced by the higher alcohol and bitterness. Flavours and Citrus notes in the aroma obviously from cascade. Trash Mash Al was well impressed and certain expletives were heard being muttered from inside his glass about the brewer being able to capture that "creatures" flavour. (Al's spent many hours and hopback designs working on this BTW...) So Jason, If you could post your hopping schedule for this beer he'd be most appreciated....

Asher for now

Tiz Me "Trash Mash Al" as im commonly known.

Jase, well impressed with the APA. Ive been working on a LCPA clone for sometime now, but in my 4 or so attempts ive not managed to capture that fantastic LC flavour :( , my hats off to you for your effort.

I will certainly make sure i get my act together for next years christmas carton, the couple i tasted were very good indeed.

Ive been using mainly cascade plugs i got from hopco a while back (1.4kg of them :rolleyes: ) in my LCPA clone, Ive knocked together a hopback but still havent quite got it right. I would be one happy brewer if you could let me in on the secret recipe.

Merry Christmas

Asher/Al, glad you enjoyed them :) Yet to try the steam ... on call so probably not until post xmas :(

The recipe for the APA is below although in that batch I used the Kirin malt and about 1kg of left over IMC ale to make up the 4.4kg I am progressivley weeding out the caramalt as I don't think you really need it. Also the cascade @60min is not really necessary but NB + cascade works really well in this (I use pellets).

Surprised you thought the Helles was hoppy, only had 32g of hallertauer @ 60mins. Got another one which should be on tap at the brew day :) I am sure it will be just as cloudy as it is only getting a 1 week lagering period!

Code:
Recipe Specifics

----------------

Batch Size (L):          23.00    Wort Size (L):     23.00

Total Grain (kg):         5.07

Anticipated OG:          1.055    Plato:             13.48

Anticipated EBC:           9.7

Anticipated IBU:          38.8

Brewhouse Efficiency:       80 %

Wort Boil Time:             90    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential EBC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

86.7     4.40 kg.  Pale Ale Malt (IMC Trad)      Australia      309.07      5

2.0     0.10 kg.  JWM Caramalt                  Australia      300.71     56

3.9     0.20 kg.  Hoepfner Caramel Malt Pils    Germany        300.71      3

3.1     0.16 kg.  JWM Wheat Malt                Australia      334.13      4

4.2     0.22 kg.  IMC Munich                    Australia      317.42     12

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

14.00 g.     Cascade                           Pellet   5.75   9.5  60 min.

14.00 g.     Hallertau Northern Brewer         Pellet   8.50  14.1  60 min.

30.00 g.     Cascade                           Pellet   5.75  10.1  15 min.

30.00 g.     Cascade                           Pellet   5.75   4.1  5 min.

30.00 g.     Cascade                           Pellet   5.75   0.9  1 min.

Extras

Amount      Name                           Type      Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

0.50 Unit(s)Whirfloc                       Fining    10 Min.(boil) 

Yeast

-----

WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash Schedule

-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg:     5.07

Water Qts:   13.40 - Before Additional Infusions

Water L:     12.69 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp :  65  Time:   0

Mash-out Rest Temp :           0  Time:   0

Sparge Temp :                 76  Time:   0

Total Mash Volume L: 16.07 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

32g of Hallertau..... interesting. I thought I remembered heaps of flavour? Well I did sample it straight after a few rice lagers.......

Kirin malt hey! This has got me thinking..... I remember Wes saying that the spec sheet I posted in regards to WestCoast Brewers Kirin malt order was a CUB spec. I've been following the LCPA thread on Grumpies forum and remember the poster from Little Creatures saying " ... our malt is made to spec by a malting company... and any more info is pretty much under wraps. Love to fill you in but I would be shot."
... What if Kirin malted LC's malt?.... and the specced malt we got was theirs(Wes was just guiding us away from the truth ;)).... Maybe we've stumbled on to the secret ingredient in this beer...... the malt!!!! woooohoooo

Got to love a conspiracy....

Asher for now

We can confirm this conspiracy theory....
Heres an idea; hang out at little creatures (that will be tough and difficult :D :D ) until the malt truck shows up (could days, or weeks) to fill the silo, then follow the truck back to its home at Kirin maltings!

I have some Kirin malt Jayse, i will do a double batch, as im normally inclined to do to keep supply up with demand and will make one batch with IMC and one with Kirin.

Al.

I'd be surprised, but you never know! I only have about 10kg left of my 50kg lot :) Going to move onto some JW pils next.

I am happy to take some shifts on the stakeout :p may be hard to spot that truck through beer glasses. :D

So I guess you will be doing another bulk buy of Kirrin malt then????
If so I'm up for a few bags

The boxing day test on telly, the Pakis actually making a contest out of the game, no chores to do and a few bottles out of the sandpeople's arsenal, wife and kids at the in-laws... pretty much a perfect day, really. If it weren't for a few of those new Cooper's Mild at 3.5% I would be snoring rather than typing.

I was going to PM everyone a set of tasting notes for each bottle but that just hasn't happened except for the first bottle of Oktoberfest, which I enjoyed very much thanks Batz. These are the next best thing - a few sketchy memories jotted down half-cut on boxing afternoon...

The Sensible Lurker's porter was magnificent, like Younis through mid-wicket, as I have witnessed before... dry yet flavoursome, full-flavoured and -bodied yet easy-drinking. In summation: you *******.

Cloudy as Helles from JasonY, clear as a bell in the bottle but hazy once chilled, lovely malty doughy flavour, can't judge the style, but from memory couldn't fault this beer, a very enjoyable last session of play thanks.

Goat, what the bloody hell are you whingeing about, you wanker? A perfectly drinkable drop of beer, I ended up drinking both of yours in quick succession. Yes a hint of an odd flavour in the background somewhere but nevertheless, a crisp palate, light subtle hops aroma, grainy malt flavours. This was a very decent beer, went very nicely with lime and black pepper chips. And thanks for the Weihenstephaner too.

Cheeeeers...

Ha ! - thanks Deebee. I still haven't tasted it since putting it in the keg - maybe I should chuck whats left in the fridge for a while and see how it goes.... ( glad the W/phaner went to a good home)

I have to say, being about 2/3 through my Christmas case - I'm yet to strike a bad one. Nice work chaps

Hi All
So far I have got through the following
Ashers steam
GLs ESB
JasonYs American Pale
Goats Pils
Batz's Northern english ale

All have been enjoyed very much, thanks even by some non brewer types

Has anyone else apart from GL plucked up the courage to taste the reindeers revenge O'fest, sorry its a bit undercarbonated :) I guess that it makes up for Batz's O'fest which was the other way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I missed out on that in my case

Ausdb

ausdb said:
sorry its a bit undercarbonated :) I guess that it makes up for Batz's O'fest which was the other way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Funny thing is the brewer that scored two oktoberfests found them both very under carbonated !

Batz :ph34r:

Have a confession to make...

I now realise I did take one Batz Oktoberfest (in frig ready for tonight) and one Batz Cut Cat Ale (drank last week, very nice hoppy flavours/aromas, a touch overcarbonated). The two Oktoberfests I thought were Batz's were actually ausdb's.

So ausdb, yes I have drunk your Oktoberfests. From memory they were sweet finishing and undercarbonated but otherwise very nice and well-enjoyed. Malty, biscuity, wholesome, moreish. I actually drank both bottles in succession.

Sorry bout that confusion.

The Batz Christmas case left my shed yesterday and is supposed to be heading north on 4 or 5 Jan.

Barfridge - you're full of shit. I enjoyed your bock and couldnt find the taste that you were worried about.

Guest Lurker said:
The Batz Christmas case left my shed yesterday and is supposed to be heading north on 4 or 5 Jan.
And looking forward to it !!!

Batz
I guess you have some flattish O'fest to look forward to then, maybe I should have called it a O'fest Real Ale??????

Deebee
Thats exactly how GL described it! I'm a newb to kegging so sorry about the carbonation. The sweetness I am working on

Cheers Ausdb

Quick review of JasonY's american pale:
clarity: 10/10
colour: spot on
aroma: mmm...cascade
head: left a nice belgian lace on the glass
taste: Quite excellent. If I was being picky, I would use slightly less bittering hop for a smoother finish, otherwise I'd be quite happy to drink this all day.

Nice work mate, you should be proud of this one.

PS. GL: glad you enjoyed it, it seems to come good with a few days in the fridge.

<much later in the evening>
Blunt Instruyment Ale
genius creator: unknown

mmm...belgian, would love the recipie for this.

All I can say is damn! tyou *******, you;ve done me in. soooooo good, must be a great yeast, nice and dry but still malty, so well balanced

and streong as buggery
you *******! well sone

Barfridge,

Glad you drank it when you were in such a good mood!

2kg DME
1.5kg liquid wheat malt extract
250g Thomas Fawcett crystal rye
750g dextrose
250g Demerara sugar
1/3 tablet of whirlfloc
26g Northern brewer 26g for 60 minutes (25IBU)
Hallertauer hallertau 30g 15 minutes (7IBU)
Hallertauer hallertau 33g 5 minutes (3IBU)
Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity yeast (sample courtesy of goat)

On the third day I added to the fermenter:
350g DME
410g can of black cherries

OG 1.070 (actual figure adjusted to accommodate the 3rd day addition)
FG 1.013

Latest posts

Back