What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Side note. We struggled with 20% roasted malts in the grist with recirc. They basically milled to fine chunks and stuck our recirc. Added 10 handfuls of rice hulls to get a nice flow.... is that normal??

mofox1 said:
I've found gladdy malts to be very friable compared to others I've used. Meaning the grain material gets crushed very easily. If you have good flow through the mash then you should get a high mash eff.

Possibly helps my imperfect crushing (power drill plus 2 roller mill), but I've found efficiency has improved after I started using gladdy malts.

Simpsons and Thomas fawcett were good as well... although the TF was better than the Simpson's.

Looking forward to using my new mill motor... be interesting to see what diff it makes.
Yeah this was my first time using Gladfield and depending on how the beer tastes I doubt it will be my last!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Side note. We struggled with 20% roasted malts in the grist with recirc. They basically milled to fine chunks and stuck our recirc. Added 10 handfuls of rice hulls to get a nice flow.... is that normal??
10 handfuls?!
40% wheat and i added 2 handfuls to a 5kg grist. 10 sounds pretty high.
Interesting to hear the roasts clogged things up so much. Wasn't aware it'd be an issue.

I'm keen to taste what this 10% RB is like... I think i'll have to invite myself over for some research sampling in a month or 2 :icon_cheers:

BTW, i believe the appropriate term is "Rice Gulls" ... shoutout to Tony!! B)

technobabble66 said:
10 handfuls?!
40% wheat and i added 2 handfuls to a 5kg grist. 10 sounds pretty high.
Interesting to hear the roasts clogged things up so much. Wasn't aware it'd be an issue.

I'm keen to taste what this 10% RB is like... I think i'll have to invite myself over for some research sampling in a month or 2 :icon_cheers:

BTW, i believe the appropriate term is "Rice Gulls" ... shoutout to Tony!! B)
Well we put a few handfuls in and got better flow for a little longer but then it slowed again. So i made the call to dump a shiteload in and it allowed us to flow at a good rate for rest of the brew. Mash temps suffered as i had to stop recirc/RIMS to stir in the rice hulls.

Im spewing i didnt take a photo of the crush. The pale choc and RB became tiny gravel like pebbles, no husks or endosperms visible. Is that normal?

My mill gap is 1.3mm which i believe is on the wide end. Reluctant to go any wider so think i may need to try the rehydration prior to milling next weekends brew.

You're definitely going to have to come try the stout on tap! Wouldn't be a true test without an independent witness :)

Gonna be a while before I can brew again, due to runoff flooding here. I have 5 lots of grist (and hops) ready for the mill, including Cream Ale (with the WhiteLabs cream ale yeast blend), Schwarzbier, Czech Pils, Coopers Sparkling and Altbier. Have yeast at the stand-by for all of them and the stirplate is itching. :angry: and :icon_vomit:

Will post a new Medowie floods thread to document for information and probably derision.

Saison I brewed yesterday to get going while the weather's nice and warm.

OG: 1061
IBU: 25
Size: 23L

Recipe:
3.5kg Wey Pilsner
2.1kg Wheat
0.35kg Flaked Oats
0.35kg White sugar
20g Hallertau Blanc @ 60min
20g Hallertau Blanc - cube
Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison - 2L starter

Mash and Boil:
Mashed at 63 for 90min
Raised to 69 for 15
Mash out at 78
Sparged and boil for 90min

Pitching the yeast in a day or two. Fermenting at 30+
Planning to bottle in champagne bottles at 3-3.5 vols.

My current saison supply is falling so had to get a new one going!

Hop Back Summer Lightning (Wheeler's recipe) cubed today.

100% Maris Otter.
90 minute mash at 66C.
OG: 1.049

Challenger at 90 minutes, EKG at flameout and in the cube to 38IBU.

Will ferment with WLP007.

I attended a brewday with Troy (Osprey Brewday) yesterday. Always interesting to see what other people do to avid the problems I get.

Hope the ferment has kicked off well on your 50 litres of Hop Hog clone.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Hop Back Summer Lightning (Wheeler's recipe) cubed today.

100% Maris Otter.
90 minute mash at 66C.
OG: 1.049

Challenger at 90 minutes, EKG at flameout and in the cube to 38IBU.

Will ferment with WLP007.
I like that 007 Yeast. Makes a tasty peated ale

Barrel Porter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (°P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 39.2 (EBC): 77.2
Bitterness (IBU): 33.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

61.66% Pale Ale Malt
15.97% Manuka Smoked Malt
12.78% Munich I
6.39% Chocolate
3.19% Black Malt

50g/0.5 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
350g/3.5 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 16°C with 1728

Aiming for 100L but to achieve this I'll need to split the base and do a reiterated mash and top up in the kettle, shouldnt be an issue except for time.

This is to be the next beer in the Barrel once I can get the issues Ive got sorted, I'll do what I did with the scotch ale and ferment then keg and once I gave the 100L rack to the barrel in one hit.

Eagleburger said:
Just had a taste, out of the fermenter, of last weeks brew. My immediate reaction was "shit this is terrible". Then I remembered I made a semi Tooheys clone for a mate. I was happy then as I thought it was close to the mark.

8kg BB ALE
1kg wheat
1.5kg dex

2hr mash @ 62

90min boil

POR to 19 IBU

50L of 1.052 dumped on us-05

19degC

Gonna leave it there for another week, two weeks total. Then I will make a tasty brrew.
i don't know about terrible. i love a good aussie beer. it's always better when made fresh. i reckon yours will be a ripper. i'm doing something similar

sexyfuntime sparkling ale

83 trad ale
10 munich
5 wheat
2 crystal

64C: 1.044 - 1.006.

POR at 60 to 25 ibu.

re-cultured coopers yeast at 18C.

sexual.

Yob said:
Barrel Porter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (°P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 39.2 (EBC): 77.2
Bitterness (IBU): 33.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

61.66% Pale Ale Malt
15.97% Manuka Smoked Malt
12.78% Munich I
6.39% Chocolate
3.19% Black Malt

50g/0.5 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
350g/3.5 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 16°C with 1728

Aiming for 100L but to achieve this I'll need to split the base and do a reiterated mash and top up in the kettle, shouldnt be an issue except for time.

This is to be the next beer in the Barrel once I can get the issues Ive got sorted, I'll do what I did with the scotch ale and ferment then keg and once I gave the 100L rack to the barrel in one hit.

so... typically..

I ended up brewing an (1.095) IPA.. which Ive split into 2x10L cubes and a 20L cube..

seriously.. I cannot be trusted..

Vaguely, Pils, Munich, wheat, acidulated.. cube hopped by the ******* shedload..

Im loosely calling this the Moosh Mash in Honour of the lad, havnt brewed since he was born and I brewed nasty shit when his sister came along.. sooo...

Moosh Mash IPA

Cube 1 : 10L : Motueka 100g - NZ Cascade 100g
Cube 2 : 10L : Simcoe 100 - Citra 100g
Cube 3 : 20L : Columbus : 50 - Simcoe 100g - AmArillo 100g

First brewday in many months and Im fookin stoked with how I remember it all works :lol:

Kaffir Lime, Lime Zest and Pink Peppercorn Berliner Weisse

67% Pils
33% Wheat

52°c for 10mins
Pull off 1/3 mash to decoct (5g of Fuggles thrown in)
Raise to 63°c for 45mins
Mash out

Add zest of four limes, 4g of Kaffir Lime leaves, 40g of Pink Peppercorns @ 90°c
2 minute boil

Lactobacillus D added @ 35°c
Belle Saison @ 22°c

Once the zest, leaves and peppercorns hit the wort the room was filled with an aroma we can only describe as Fruit Loops. It was awesome.

Yob said:
Moosh Mash IPA

Cube 2 : 10L : Simcoe 100 - Citra 100g
haha, awesome stuff....fuckn love hops!!

I ran the numbers for the second cube.....calculated of beersmith around 235ibu and 10.5%abv with Us05 yeast.....will you dry hop aswell?

Golden Promise Imperial IPA

OG 1080
FG 1015
ABV 8.3%
IBU ???
EBC 11

94% Golden Promise Ale Malt
6% Carapils

Mashed @ 65c for 90mins

Boil for 90mins

100g Warrior @ 90mins
5mls Hopshot @ 45mins ( Northern Brewer USA )
56g each of Amarillo, Centennial & Citra @ 10mins

Whirlpool for 20mins 56g each of Chinook & Centennial

Fermented with Burton Ale 023 Yeast Cake @ 18c

MEGA Dry hop 10g/L for 5-7days - Chinook and Centennial

Just racked a Belgian Quad and a Tripel on to sour cherries (6kg/19L@quad, 4kg/19L Tripel). I bought the cherries fresh, cleaned, froze and then broke up with a potato masher and racked onto the fruit today. No idea what is going to happen. IMG_0665.JPG

Too much free time at work and not enough at home, so I've gone the wrong way round and done my labels before I brew the beers.

Pratty1 said:
Golden Promise Imperial IPA

OG 1080
FG 1015
ABV 8.3%
IBU ???
EBC 11

94% Golden Promise Ale Malt
6% Carapils

Mashed @ 65c for 90mins

Boil for 90mins

100g Warrior @ 90mins
5mls Hopshot @ 45mins ( Northern Brewer USA )
56g each of Amarillo, Centennial & Citra @ 10mins

Whirlpool for 20mins 56g each of Chinook & Centennial

Fermented with Burton Ale 023 Yeast Cake @ 18c

MEGA Dry hop 10g/L for 5-7days - Chinook and Centennial
holy shit mate!

it's stripping my teeth just looking at the hops haha.

losses to hop trub = 10L?

what's the batch size?

Pratty1 said:
haha, awesome stuff....fuckn love hops!!

I ran the numbers for the second cube.....calculated of beersmith around 235ibu and 10.5%abv with Us05 yeast.....will you dry hop aswell?
Shit yeah, heavily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back