What Coupler For A Local Guinness Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar Beer

Reaction score
Hi All

My brother has a Guinness keg. Wonderful news. :party:
Now, I've drank oceans of the stuff but I've never tapped one. A bit confused about which coupler should be used.
I haven't been round to see him, but I'm thinking as it's locally brewed then surely this should be a CUB keg needing a D type coupler? Web research says Guinness kegs need the more rare U type? Would think only the imported kegs would need the U type?

Anyone tapped one of these?

Cheers
Paul

Hi All

My brother has a Guinness keg. Wonderful news. :party:
Now, I've drank oceans of the stuff but I've never tapped one. A bit confused about which coupler should be used.
I haven't been round to see him, but I'm thinking as it's locally brewed then surely this should be a CUB keg needing a D type coupler? Web research says Guinness kegs need the more rare U type? Would think only the imported kegs would need the U type?

Anyone tapped one of these?

Cheers
Paul

Are we still BUL Guinness? My understading was the cans are now fully imported. I wonder if its the same for Guinness Draught kegs?

Are we still BUL Guinness? My understading was the cans are now fully imported. I wonder if its the same for Guinness Draught kegs?

I think the kegs are still BUL. The widget cans are from Dublin.

if its a cub keg then its a D type. the euro kegs onbly use U type if they have been imported over. Unfortunately I have sold both my U type and CUB couplers. I have tooheys style couplers but they aint gonna help you.

dont suppose you have a CUB coupler around to try?

this is a U type keg fitting - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...si&img=1497

if its a cub keg then its a D type. the euro kegs onbly use U type if they have been imported over. Unfortunately I have sold both my U type and CUB couplers. I have tooheys style couplers but they aint gonna help you.

dont suppose you have a CUB coupler around to try?

this is a U type keg fitting - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...si&img=1497

Thanks CM
If it's CUB, then I'll buy one anyway. Very slowly moving the brewery to 50L capacity. Always wanted a 50L keg of HB.

Found this helpful website http://kegman.net/b2c.html

Doesn't answer my question though.

does the keg have any embosing on it (eg CUB, Anheuser-Busch etc )? that should tell you whether its a euro keg or not

but do you have the right gas and tap spout for guinness

Good question Bradley. I have a proper Guinness spout I bought off ebay Ireland a few years back (one of the gimmicky 'extra cold' ones). I'm going to dispense with the Co2 from my current kegging set up. I beleive the nitro is only critical in carbonation.

I used to be a cellarman/bartender at a pub in dublin and we used a different gas for the stouts. We had a mix up once because the murphys stout gas bottles used the same thread as the lager gas bottles and the murpys settled with to much head.
With a proper guinness handle though you should be able to regulate the flow of gas, pulling the tap on full towards you injects gas, pushing the handle forwards doesnt inject gas. plus you can adjust the head size by adjusting the two part pour, stop earlier gives thinner head, stop later thicker.

Latest posts

Back