What To Bitter With

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Going to brew my first AG pils
4.56kg JWM Export pilsener 95.8
0.20kg Munich malt 4.20
20gm NB 9.6% @ 60m
20gm Hallertauer (Ger.) 6.3% @ 20m
20gn Saaz 3.2% @ 5m
My brews lately have been a tad over bitter, so am aiming around 28IBU.
Question is, i have some Nelson Sauvin left over, could i use that to bitter instead of the NB or would it be too flavoursome. Do the hop additions look ok.
Was in Cairns last week, visited the Blue Sky brewery, there Reef Blonde tastes exactly like a Sauvin Summer Ale i brewed a few weeks ago, lubberly.
Cheers guys/girls any hints gratefully accepted
Briby

Edit Just noticed LWM now fixed

Mate

How you bittering, and what sort of kit are you using. Depending on the violence of the boil, this will impact the hop utilisation (amount of bittering compounds that will dissolve to make the bitterness). Some boils are hard, some slowly burbling and the more vigorous the boil will be the greater the bittering outcome.

Problem solving says to start knocking off increments of 5-10% of the hop weight to get to where you like. Also, a big hunk of spunk like Hayden can help out; he has more technical wahzoo on his fingernail than most brewers have in their being and is one never to not help out a fellow brewer with a question or issue. Worse thing is his likely response will be 'add more and give me more!'

Scotty

Nelson's one of the few hops that I can taste in a 60 minute + boil. But it's only very slight.

Depends, if you want a traditional Czeck pils then it would have to be Saaz. Hallertaur for a German pils. If you don't mind experimenting with different tastes go for the sauvin, and post taste test results here :p

I will also add that I can taste NS very prominently.
It will not make a bad beer though.

NB is like the Swiss-Army-Hop

Tasted Nelson Sauvin but not brewed with it.

To my mind it would be out of place with saaz in a pils unless you had a deliberate hybrid in mind.

I have bittered several times with northern brewer and not found it to overshadow more subtle later hops at all.

Latest posts

Back