Wyeast 3944

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba Q

Reaction score
I have a fermenter full of a witbier that has currently sitting on my kitchen bench. I put it down 2 weeks ago with wyeast 3944. OG was 1060 and currently it is sitting on about 1030. It still has a fair bit of krausen. Ferment temp has been kept at about 18C. Has anyone had experience with this yeast before? Seems to be fermenting rather slowly.

Bubba, I've had similar experiences with 3944, it seems to be quite lazy, that's quite a strong wit you are making there too.

cheers

Browndog

I know, it got a bit away from me, i think it was a combo of not reading the recipe correctly (should have made 25 litres whereas i made it to 23) and a much too vigorous boil

Don't worry, as long as you didn't mash high, it will get there eventually.

cheers

Browndog

I have a fermenter full of a witbier that has currently sitting on my kitchen bench. I put it down 2 weeks ago with wyeast 3944. OG was 1060 and currently it is sitting on about 1030. It still has a fair bit of krausen. Ferment temp has been kept at about 18C. Has anyone had experience with this yeast before? Seems to be fermenting rather slowly.

Same probs with me. In the end I roused racked etc etc but had to up the temp into 20-24 to get it to finish. It did in the end but took about a month in the primary. Got down to 1.011 and tasted great. Good luck

I've also had a slow ferment with this yeast. Seems to start off strong with a big krausen, then takes its time to finish.

A little rousing and a bit of patience does the trick however.

sounds like a prob with this yeast!!! I have got the exact same prob at the moment with the same yeast!!! giving me the shits mine is also sitting around th 1.030 mark.......I've got a porter <cubed> I want to start fermenting but this bloody witbeer is taking up the room in my ferm fridge :angry:

ditto the above. Its lazy and needs time. Starting cool and finishing higher, mashing low to medium gets the job done eventually, when you get there it will be a great drop. I have used it 3 times with nothing under 20 days in the fermenter.

edit,:footnote,:
Bubba, do you get a fair bit of Banana at your low ferment temp?
This yeast has far from won me over for a Hoegaaarden clone.

I am sitting here with 8 minutes to go until mash out on my Witbier and using 3944 , so these comments I am fining interesting.
I was a bit lazy and planned 2 packs straight into 43 litres .
Do you think it will be enough??

Woody

I am sitting here with 8 minutes to go until mash out on my Witbier and using 3944 , so these comments I am fining interesting.
I was a bit lazy and planned 2 packs straight into 43 litres .
Do you think it will be enough??

Woody

For sure, this isnt a yeast that goes to sleep. It works.

edit> slowly

For sure, this isnt a yeast that goes to sleep. It works.

edit> slowly

So be patient hey !!!!

I am adding criander and orange peel to the boil with Hallertauer and Hersbrucker ..... The smells .................I am in love ...

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back