Grain Mill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just starting out using specialty grains and wish to move to partials very soon, my question is what grain mill to buy that is not cheap rubbish but not something CUB would purchase?

Cheers

There's a lot of threads on the forums comparing the various mills, do a search for millmaster or monster mill that might reward a few threads.

A corona mill is probably the cheapest decent mill you can get, then the monster mills/crankanstein from the US are a little bit more(+shipping)

My advice would be to buy grain pre crushed for your convenience from one of our lovely sponsors, and put a couple of bucks aside each week till you are ready to buy Barley Crusher or Monster Mill, and not be tempted by the inexpensive Marga mill.
I have used, and actually still do use, all three, but BC and MM are awesome, and marga is not.

Then when you move to full mash brewing, you will have a real mill that can whip thru grains in a descent amount of time.

I'm going to put a vote in for crankandstein mills. They seem so underrepresented at AHB. They're a top mill and have features you cant get with a monster mill. I think the marga mill is fine for partials but if you want to go all grain dont get one, it takes far too long to mill your grain with this. When it all comes down to it you can buy a monster mill or crankandstein for about the same price anyway. My 2 cents.

Before buying a mill work out why you need one. The way I see it you have two options (ignoring using a dodgy makeshift mill of course).

1 - Own a decent mill, buy grain in bulk to save money to pay for the mill. This requires more space and equipment for grain storage but allows more flexibility to make recipes at will etc.

2 - Plan your batches in advance and get your brew shop to crack, mix, and vacuum seal each batch separately. This may cost a bit more as you can't buy the grain in sacks, but you don't need a mill or as much storage space.

I currently do option 2 and to be honest it works pretty damn great but I'm not the kind of person to do two batches a week either.

My advice would be to buy grain pre crushed for your convenience from one of our lovely sponsors, and put a couple of bucks aside each week till you are ready to buy Barley Crusher or Monster Mill, and not be tempted by the inexpensive Marga mill.
I have used, and actually still do use, all three, but BC and MM are awesome, and marga is not.

Then when you move to full mash brewing, you will have a real mill that can whip thru grains in a descent amount of time.

You've also used a millmaster a few times... I reckon they go OK too.

I own a cheapie Corona/Victoria Mill (also known as a corn mill), and it has been handy to give me an appreciation of how to crush well as you need to be good at adjusting, and each grain can be a little different. So it has been a useful 'learning mill', but I'm ready to step up.

If I had the money I would be by-passing the cheap Corona/Marga options and going straight to a Monster, Crankenstein, Mill-master or Barley Crusher. Getting the best mill my budget allowed.

If you're serious about homebrewing it's where you'll wind up anyhow - so why not get it now?

Cheers,

Hopper.

I've got the geared millmaster and very happy with it, but I only got it after deciding to purchase grains in bulk instead of a per brew basis. Before then all grains were pre-cracked by Gryphon.

The other benifit of owning your own mill is if you live in the country; like me. Today I've decided to brew this Sunday. So Sunday morning I can walk int othe store room measure out some grain and mill it.

Kev

+ one what Kev said but I live in the city but can brew whenever I want providing I have the grain

I made my mill & it gives me great satisfaction crushing the grain.

IMG_1441_1_1.JPG

IMG_1580_1_1.JPG

Hey Swinging Beef, what's wrong with the inexpensive Marga?

I have done over 60 A.G single batches and it hasn't missed a beat and it is still going strong

Rook

Thanks guys,
I will eventually go to AG and since i live in the country i will be buying in bulk. I did check out the MonsterMill from the US, i think i might even go with one of these with the hopper/base option.

I have a Valley Mill. Picked this up from a friend and it must be about 12 years old now. Works great. Put down my 4th AG today and hit 81.7% efficiency. Not sureif these mills are still available though.

Being able to crack your own grain is a convenience no matter where you live.

I use a corona mill which isn't exactly hi-tech but I have before unintentionally spilled premilled grain all over the ground when about to mash. PITA yes but if I only ever bought pre-milled I'd either have to wait till I could place an order for new grain then get it delivered, then schedule a brewday. Add to that buying in bulk and a mill is the only way to go.

You still can, from time to time, order pre-milled (I ocassionally do if the base malt involved is one I don't have on hand and the order is specific to that particular brew) but having a mill gives you the option.

I've got the Barley Crusher with the largest hopper. Bloody fantastic.

Hey Swinging Beef, what's wrong with the inexpensive Marga?

I have done over 60 A.G single batches and it hasn't missed a beat and it is still going strong

Rook

I have a Marga. Although I havent seen firsthand what other mills produce in terms of crush, I dont really approve of the crush my marga gives (yes, its not properly aligned, but is modified as per Mr Fixa's thread but cant be arsed figuring out how align them properly), but I can run it with a 10mm spade drill bit on a 240V ryobi drill. I am put off by the pulley systems that seem to be required for the better mills - they just dont meet my safety standards for use while drunk. I am also sticking with the marga for the noise factor - I use ear plugs when milling, I would shudder what the better mills sound like. I am sticking to the Marga for sound and being able to use a cheap drill.

My 2c

I've got a marga and a monster and the crush is good on both. The only reason I got a monster is because I'm doing double batches now and time is becoming important. For single batches ie 5 kg of grain the marga is fine. On the monster my eff is still the same at 79% as the marga. It all depends on what you require down the track as your brewery expands.

I have aquired a mill yesterday, together with a very well built mash tun, heat exchanger, 50 l kettle, immersion heater, HLT and other small goodies from a former brewer. Does anyone know what kind of mill that is and if it is any good?

Not meaning to hijack...

Mill_1.jpg
Mill_2.jpg

Florian

Back