Grain Mill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll put in a good word for Marga, it works straight out of the box (after a small mod and adjustment) no need to construct mounts, pullys, frames etc.

No point mucking about with a drill, it only takes 10 minutes cranking by hand (maybe 20 for a BIG stout :) ). Do it the night before.
Looks great, all chromey and shiny, and packs away in a small box.

I use ear plugs when milling

Never really thought about using ear plugs while use my millmaster. Noise is not that bad and besides I tend to save the ear plugs when the missus and kids are going toe to toe :lol:

BYB

I have aquired a mill yesterday, together with a very well built mash tun, heat exchanger, 50 l kettle, immersion heater, HLT and other small goodies from a former brewer. Does anyone know what kind of mill that is and if it is any good?

Not meaning to hijack...

View attachment 39009
View attachment 39010

Florian

Basically known as corona or Victoria Mill. They are a budget mill but I use one and find it perfectly adequate. I often lend it to another brewer who last weekend cracked 20 kg of grain with it. I've done close to 18-19 before. Great workout for your arm. You just need to watch your crush as you go and adjust the plates.

Keep it dry - don't worry about washing it - just dust the flour off with a clean dry soft brush. If it gets wet it can rust.

Never really thought about using ear plugs while use my millmaster. Noise is not that bad and besides I tend to save the ear plugs when the missus and kids are going toe to toe :lol:

BYB
Don't you mean she uses the ear plugs when you're sleeping.... uh I mean snoring ...uh I mean cutting down tall timber with an industrial sized chain saw :lol: i.e:
wb-chainsaw.jpg

Florian..
That Mill is a " PORKET TYPE MILL " For corn and BEER,,,
I have 3 of that type bit slow but they work all right..
Cheers
PJ

I'll also put in a good word for the marga I can usually get through 10-12kg in 15min using a heavy duty mixing drill (runs slower better torque). One day I will upgrade to a bigger one but it has got me through 2 years and 100's of kg's so far.

Cheers Brad

Basically known as corona or Victoria Mill. They are a budget mill but I use one and find it perfectly adequate. I often lend it to another brewer who last weekend cracked 20 kg of grain with it. I've done close to 18-19 before. Great workout for your arm. You just need to watch your crush as you go and adjust the plates.

Keep it dry - don't worry about washing it - just dust the flour off with a clean dry soft brush. If it gets wet it can rust.

Florian..
That Mill is a " PORKET TYPE MILL " For corn and BEER,,,
I have 3 of that type bit slow but they work all right..
Cheers
PJ

Thanks Manticle and poppa joe.
Just remembered that I also got about 15-20 kg of uncrushed grains (probably a bit old but still smell and taste great) with my purchase, so I went down and milled some of it. Works a treat, have no comparison whatsoever to other mills, but it will do the job nicely. I like the way you can adjust the crush to almost any size.

Uncrushed grains it is for me from now on - waiting for the next SEQ bulk buy!

Florian

Don't you mean she uses the ear plugs when you're sleeping.... uh I mean snoring ...uh I mean cutting down tall timber with an industrial sized chain saw :lol: i.e:
wb-chainsaw.jpg

:icon_offtopic: Let us all find out come Anhc time <_<

BYB

Thanks Manticle and poppa joe.
Just remembered that I also got about 15-20 kg of uncrushed grains (probably a bit old but still smell and taste great) with my purchase, so I went down and milled some of it. Works a treat, have no comparison whatsoever to other mills, but it will do the job nicely. I like the way you can adjust the crush to almost any size.

Uncrushed grains it is for me from now on - waiting for the next SEQ bulk buy!

Florian

Yep I have a Corona/Victoria just like you and Manticle as well. Have had it since about 1995 and it keeps on going. They are dependable, don't break and give a great crush. But you do build up muscles when you crush enough grain for a double batch - it's boring repetitive work.

I'm at the crossroads now - either upgrading or somehow going to fix a drill to mine (but the chuck won't fit on it so have to modify with a screw in piece or something welded on where the handle goes). Also might enlarge the hopper with a funnel, a tyre inner tube or half softdrink bottle strapped to the hopper to get more grain in - getting tired of hand cranking and stopping to refill - it all takes too long. This is the one drawback on this mill.

Hopper.

Hey Swinging Beef, what's wrong with the inexpensive Marga?
I have done over 60 A.G single batches and it hasn't missed a beat and it is still going strong
Rook
I just reckon when $ and time are built in to the equation, the Marga is not as good value as the bigger boys, thats all.
It works, for sure, and Im happy I bought it when I did, but it is super slow compared to Millmaster and others, and the mash is always a bit floury, I find.
8kg+ grain bills on a Marga are a real excercise in perseverance.

I am tossing up between the monster mill with the hopper/base or the barley crusher?
Still cant decide, although the monster one does look nice.

www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html

I'll also put in a good word for the marga I can usually get through 10-12kg in 15min using a heavy duty mixing drill (runs slower better torque). One day I will upgrade to a bigger one but it has got me through 2 years and 100's of kg's so far.

Cheers Brad

I've seen Brad's tool in action, and can vouch that it is impressive. Mind you that 15 minutes is the longest 15 minutes of your neighbours' lives :rolleyes: :p

Interested in SB's comment that the goods turn out floury, sounds right up my alley for BIAB. Julia is going to stimulate me next month so I'm getting my shopping list together.

Hey Swinging Beef, what's wrong with the inexpensive Marga?

I have done over 60 A.G single batches and it hasn't missed a beat and it is still going strong

Rook

Same same.

80+ batches now on the marga including big beers and double batches and no issues with it at all. And i bought mine second hand when another brewer upgraded to something shiny so who knows how much grain it has crushed.

I have had my grain crushed on other peoples expensive mills and never get a single extra point in efficiency.

It may not be the best looking mill, nor the shiniest but it crushes grain and i make beer. :beerbang:

hmmm maybe the marga mill could be a goer then.
When i first looked at it, it did look a little cheap and flimsy but if so many other brewers that obviously have bucket loads more idea than me are happy then i might look that way.

Waiting on my burner now.

Has anyone tried smashing their grain with a rolling pin? I mean, put it in cloth bag or something and go to town. Well, time is a luxury I have and cash is well,.... kinda needs preserving since I'm not growing it ATM. Might invest in a mill if I do a few more shifts sometime.

On that note, a stone mortar and pestle will work or bruise the grain too badly?

Waiting on my burner now.

Has anyone tried smashing their grain with a rolling pin? I mean, put it in cloth bag or something and go to town. Well, time is a luxury I have and cash is well,.... kinda needs preserving since I'm not growing it ATM. Might invest in a mill if I do a few more shifts sometime.

On that note, a stone mortar and pestle will work or bruise the grain too badly?

Tried both.

Pain in arse.

Latest posts

Back