Braumeister Clone (UK)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneey

Reaction score
As I have already built a 20ltr in the past I thought I would share my current 50ltr build.

IMG_0686.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photob.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

I have my name down on the list for a new Aussie Control Unit

Cheers

Hi barneey,

Great looking unit, I like the plumbing...very neat.
Did you buy a genuine BM malt pipe?
Is the ball valve necessary on the wort return?
Is the controller the one being supplied on this forum from Lael?
Keep us all posted mate it looks like a great build.

Cheers

dicko said:
Hi barneey,

Great looking unit, I like the plumbing...very neat.
Did you buy a genuine BM malt pipe?
Is the ball valve necessary on the wort return?
Is the controller the one being supplied on this forum from Lael?
Keep us all posted mate it looks like a great build.

Cheers
Cheers,

Yes both the Malt Tubes are genuine BM units, one advantage of building a 50ltr unit is that you can readily buy both the 20 & 50ltr tubes (from Europe).

On my previous 20ltr build I had to get a 20ltr malt tube fabricated @ a cost of £100.00 (included the screens).

The two malt tubes for this build set me back £175.00, I will make the screens myself from some perorated sheet.

I`ve never used a Chugger pump for a BM Clone so want some control (just in case), the valve however may not be needed in which case I will swap it out for a straight piece of pipe.

Yes the controller will be one made by Lael, the trouble I`ve found in the past with a Matho PCB is that you normally need to by the components in bulk (packs of 5 / 10) so to save all the hassle / experimentation the product Lael is making looks more than ideal as a unit.

My ultimate aim is to build a 50BM clone for way less than an original & have the option of brew size.

I recently sold my original BM on to fund this project.

Cheers

Ps forgot the pic of the 20lt Malt pipe.

photo-2.jpg

Now that's looking cool...........

I have a genuine 20L BM, but am planning to build another using an old 50L Keg. That way I can brew two different beers at the same time.

I am also down for one of Lael's controllers.

Where did you get the element material from to bend yourself? How will you power it up? I'm a complete electrical dunce.

I'll be following this build very keenly.

Barneey,

Thanks for that. Which model did you buy?

I appreciate that I'll need to work out the length for myself based on my keg diameter, but was interested to see which wattage you went with.

As I intend to use the unit for both 20 & 50 litre brews I went for a 3000 watt. / 8 ft (2.4m) element, so quite low density. so wattage wise between an original 20 & 50 BM unit.

A little update on my build, holding down bar now cut and drilled.

IMG_0843.jpg

I`ve been trying to think of an easy way to make a stand for the thing to sit on + house the pump & control box.

May well have found the ideal answer in an up turned 70ltr standard stock pot, this now gives a rim height of 1.10m + plenty of room for everything else.

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Another good idea barneey and a good fit.

I would be considering some ventilation and air flow for the Chugger.
It has been reported in Australia that they can overheat.

Cheers

Cheers,

I think some sort of mechanical ventilation (computer fans) might be the best way forward albeit maybe more complicated than need be. The trouble with one of builds its all trial and error, so very much open to any suggestions.

dicko said:
Another good idea barneey and a good fit.

I would be considering some ventilation and air flow for the Chugger.
It has been reported in Australia that they can overheat.

Cheers

barneey said:
Cheers,

I think some sort of mechanical ventilation (computer fans) might be the best way forward albeit maybe more complicated than need be. The trouble with one of builds its all trial and error, so very much open to any suggestions.
I made mention of the overheating in case you were thinking of just using the bottom pot without cutting the sides out.

You could probably shape it similar to the Braumeister legs and that may be sufficient.

The original Aus chugger had some problems with thermal overloads. That was fixed in a subsequent release. That being said, they still run quite hot and I don't think you'd want to enclose them. My current build just has the pump sitting on my bench next to pots, but will eventually be mounted to metal brew frame. I am hoping being attached to a metal frame will be a heat sink of some sorts.

The UK chugger might be different to the Aus chugger.

Barnee,

What are skin / bulkhead fitting that you have used for the pump suction and discharge through the bottom of the pot?

Very neat looking on the onside and easy clean.

Cheers
Andy

Cervantes said:
Barnee,

What are skin / bulkhead fitting that you have used for the pump suction and discharge through the bottom of the pot?

Very neat looking on the onside and easy clean.

Cheers
Andy
They are called
SKIN FITTING SS316 1/2"BSPx60mmLONG Part Number 403523
from a company in the UK http://www.asap-supplies.com/search/403523/stainless-steel-threaded-skin-fitting-403523
As most stainless bits originate from China they can be sourced from all over the world so you should find a supplier in your area.

Your main pot is fantastic! Where did you get that one and what volume & dimensions is it?

It was a one off purchase from ebay, I had been looking for ages for a suitable donor pot, the critical dimension (to mimic an original) is the diameter which is 450mm the height is a little higher than a 50 BM unit at 650mm (100ltr pot).

Its a pharmaceutics pot which had been used for the storage of distilled water & is of very quality.

Just one note a standard stainless Bergland 70ltr pot (easily available) has the same diameter so if you only wanted a 20BM unit , the additional 20BM malt tube could be bought and the match would also be perfect, rather than try and replicate the size of an original 20BM pot. (ie you don't then have to mess around making malt tubes - which IMHO is the biggest hurdle on the mechanical side of things).

Yeah, that is the perfect size pot in my calculations. Allows a 600mm malt pipe which is slightly taller than a brau one but shouldn't impact fluidization.

Your plates look great! What is the ring around the outside you've used and what are the parts you've placed in center hole? Very neat so far!

The central (pull down rod) for the build is 12mm diameter to which I threaded the top and bottom (a pet hate of mine is using threaded rod as its APITA to clean after a brew), anyway the 12mm diameter rod is a very good fit for stainless 3/8 threaded fittings. http://www.bes.co.uk/products/165a.asp part number 14473 + lock nuts. If your careful you can drill a hole through the perforated plate slight less than the tapered thread on the nipple, than a standard ss washer with the lock nut just pulls everything together. I would silver soldier the bits but fear of heat distortion put an end to that idea.

The tube around the outside is standard 3/16 beerline which may be swapped for some "u" channel silicone.

I just need to fit the element, then fingers crossed everything is ready for testing and perhaps a standard 67c mash + boil (manual made = no controller ;)) to make sure everything is running correctly, then its job done really , apart from making a hop filter which will either mimic the BM one or maybe a stainless hoop with meshbag, that will depend on if I use a plate chiller or IC unit to reach pitch temp.

Back